Alumni Bible Study

A Bible study initially set up for alumni of the Senior Sunday School Class at the First United Methodist Church of Lufkin, Texas. It is our hope and our prayer that this study touches the hearts of those who participate and helps spread the love and grace of Our Lord and God. All who want to learn more about God are welcome

My Photo
Name:
Location: lufkin, Texas, United States

I am a Christian family man, Lay Pastor and writer from Deep East Texas. I love life, and I enjoy working with young people. I have published two books; "A Small Mind Among Tall Trees" and "God If You Are Not Too Busy, Can You Give Me a Hand". If you want to obtain a copy drop me an e-mail or go to amazon.com or barnesand noble.com . I have been a salesman, cowman and athlete in my past. I still have a strong sense of humor and am not afraid to use it.

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

John 10:1-18

Relax, Read and Reflect
Prayer- Lord, Open our minds and open our hearts and help us learn. Go-Fight-Win. Amen.
The Shepherd and His Flock
1"I tell you the truth, the man who does not enter the sheep pen by the gate, but climbs in by some other way, is a thief and a robber. 2The man who enters by the gate is the shepherd of his sheep. 3The watchman opens the gate for him, and the sheep listen to his voice. He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. 4When he has brought out all his own, he goes on ahead of them, and his sheep follow him because they know his voice. 5But they will never follow a stranger; in fact, they will run away from him because they do not recognize a stranger's voice." 6Jesus used this figure of speech, but they did not understand what he was telling them.

7Therefore Jesus said again, "I tell you the truth, I am the gate for the sheep. 8All who ever came before me were thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not listen to them. 9I am the gate; whoever enters through me will be saved.a]'> He will come in and go out, and find pasture. 10The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.

11"I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. 12The hired hand is not the shepherd who owns the sheep. So when he sees the wolf coming, he abandons the sheep and runs away. Then the wolf attacks the flock and scatters it. 13The man runs away because he is a hired hand and cares nothing for the sheep.

14"I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me— 15just as the Father knows me and I know the Father—and I lay down my life for the sheep. 16I have other sheep that are not of this sheep pen. I must bring them also. They too will listen to my voice, and there shall be one flock and one shepherd. 17The reason my Father loves me is that I lay down my life—only to take it up again. 18No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. This command I received from my Father."

Christ is our Shepherd. This is wonderful and very true comparison to real life. Jesus says a shepherd would not enter his pen over the sides but use a gate, only a thief would enter over the sides. Christ is the gate-we are the sheep. we enter through him. My variation is that a cow man will not cut his fences to enter his pastures, we use gates,over and over. The rustler cuts the wire and enters the pasture by secret. I understand these verses.

So, we say that Jesus is our Shepard. What does a shepherd do? He takes care of his flock, his herd, his mob. In this illustration the shepherd is the owner of the sheep. The sheep are more than his job-they are his life. The shepherd will do what ever it takes to protect His herd. Unlike the hired man, when danger comes the shepherd will risk his life to protect the herd. The hired hand may say "that's not in my job description," and run away. The shepherd has too much invested.

Jesus is our Shepherd-we are his sheep. When evil comes He will protect us. He uses the gate, (himself,) for us to enter the pastures and pens, which is heaven. Jesus did lay down his life to protect us. He gave up his life that we might live, and live through Him.

Questions:

1. Why would a thief climb the walls of the pen? Who may be a thief?

2.What is the difference between a shepherd and someone watching the sheep?

3. If Christ is our shepherd, why would we fear evil?

Prayer- Dear Lord, thank You for sending Your Son to watch over us as our Shepard. Help us feel that peace that comes from You. Go-Fight-Win. Amen


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home