Alumni Bible Study

A Bible study initially set up for alumni of the Senior Sunday School Class at the First United Methodist Church of Lufkin, Texas. It is our hope and our prayer that this study touches the hearts of those who participate and helps spread the love and grace of Our Lord and God. All who want to learn more about God are welcome

My Photo
Name:
Location: lufkin, Texas, United States

I am a Christian family man, Lay Pastor and writer from Deep East Texas. I love life, and I enjoy working with young people. I have published two books; "A Small Mind Among Tall Trees" and "God If You Are Not Too Busy, Can You Give Me a Hand". If you want to obtain a copy drop me an e-mail or go to amazon.com or barnesand noble.com . I have been a salesman, cowman and athlete in my past. I still have a strong sense of humor and am not afraid to use it.

Saturday, March 06, 2010

John 5:34-47

Relax, Read and Reflect
Prayer- Lord, open our hearts and open our minds and help us learn. Go-Fight-Win. Amen.

34-38"But my purpose is not to get your vote, and not to appeal to mere human testimony. I'm speaking to you this way so that you will be saved. John was a torch, blazing and bright, and you were glad enough to dance for an hour or so in his bright light. But the witness that really confirms me far exceeds John's witness. It's the work the Father gave me to complete. These very tasks, as I go about completing them, confirm that the Father, in fact, sent me. The Father who sent me, confirmed me. And you missed it. You never heard his voice, you never saw his appearance. There is nothing left in your memory of his Message because you do not take his Messenger seriously.

39-40"You have your heads in your Bibles constantly because you think you'll find eternal life there. But you miss the forest for the trees. These Scriptures are all about me! And here I am, standing right before you, and you aren't willing to receive from me the life you say you want.

41-44"I'm not interested in crowd approval. And do you know why? Because I know you and your crowds. I know that love, especially God's love, is not on your working agenda. I came with the authority of my Father, and you either dismiss me or avoid me. If another came, acting self-important, you would welcome him with open arms. How do you expect to get anywhere with God when you spend all your time jockeying for position with each other, ranking your rivals and ignoring God?

45-47"But don't think I'm going to accuse you before my Father. Moses, in whom you put so much stock, is your accuser. If you believed, really believed, what Moses said, you would believe me. He wrote of me. If you won't take seriously what he wrote, how can I expect you to take seriously what I speak?"

Jesus is explaining his ministry, and what makes it important to US. John the Baptist is important, because he is the warm up act, he is pointing the people to Jesus, and Jesus is the main event. This is why John is important, according to Jesus. The miracles are also a sign that should show the people that the Christ is coming, (or in this case-Christ is here.) The miracles are not in and of themselves the focus. The focus is on the Man who does them.

I like this translations telling of the importance of scripture. Read 39-40 again. To really get the full importance read these verses in your own bible, (if you don't use The Message as your personal bible.) Yes, scripture is important, it is important for use to read our bibles. The bibles themselves are not salvation. They are a tool to build a relationship with Christ, and that is what causes salvation.

Jesus concludes this chapter with a warning; If we do not believe in Jesus- we do not believe in God. Pretty straight forward.

Questions:

1. Does Jesus say that John is important? Why or why not?

2. Should we read scripture?, (our bibles.) What is the danger Jesus warns against?

3. Does Jesus say that he is God?

Prayer- Help us keep our focus on You and Your Son. We know that all things are possible through you, help us remember that during our day to day world. Go-Fight-Win. Amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home