Alumni Bible Study

A Bible study initially set up for alumni of the Senior Sunday School Class at the First United Methodist Church of Lufkin, Texas. It is our hope and our prayer that this study touches the hearts of those who participate and helps spread the love and grace of Our Lord and God. All who want to learn more about God are welcome

My Photo
Name:
Location: lufkin, Texas, United States

I am a Christian family man, Lay Pastor and writer from Deep East Texas. I love life, and I enjoy working with young people. I have published two books; "A Small Mind Among Tall Trees" and "God If You Are Not Too Busy, Can You Give Me a Hand". If you want to obtain a copy drop me an e-mail or go to amazon.com or barnesand noble.com . I have been a salesman, cowman and athlete in my past. I still have a strong sense of humor and am not afraid to use it.

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Ephesians 1: 11-14

Relax, Read and Reflect (3R's)
Dear God,

Open my heart and open my mind, and help me learn. G-F-W. Amen

Ephesians 1:11-14 (New International Version)
11In him we were also chosen,[a] having been predestined according to the plan of him who works out everything in conformity with the purpose of his will, 12in order that we, who were the first to hope in Christ, might be for the praise of his glory. 13And you also were included in Christ when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation. Having believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, 14who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God's possession-to the praise of his glory.

These verses show that God's purpose for life is to offer salvation. He has a plan and is in control.
When we look at the first verse, remember that the word predestined here means selected, like we discussed Monday. God's plan is our main purpose, and can not be thwarted.
In verses 13 and 14 Paul discusses the Holy Spirit and being marked with a seal. This refers to us as something bought or traded for. When a contract was finalized, it was sealed. It still is today. Both parties sign off, even if it is just a handshake. Laws of this nation are not final until the seal of government is placed on them. These contracts have considerations with them, usually money. God has sent the Holy spirit as consideration for his plan, a down payment if you will.
The presence of the Holy Spirit is a sign of God's "good faith" in us, and proves we are His children. We can use the Holy Spirit on earth, and it is a glimpse of what lies for us in eternity. Remember, God is in control. He want's to save us and can, no matter what evil comes at you.

Prayer: Lord, Thank you for saving me. Thanks for sending the Holy Spirit for us to use for your will, and giving us a glimpse of your purpose. Help me carry that purpose with me wherever I go. G-F-W. Amen

Things to do today:
Read Ephesians 1:15-18 before tomorrow
Let the Holy Spirit into your heart
Remember that God is in control.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home