Alumni Bible Study

A Bible study initially set up for alumni of the Senior Sunday School Class at the First United Methodist Church of Lufkin, Texas. It is our hope and our prayer that this study touches the hearts of those who participate and helps spread the love and grace of Our Lord and God. All who want to learn more about God are welcome

My Photo
Name:
Location: lufkin, Texas, United States

I am a Christian family man, Lay Pastor and writer from Deep East Texas. I love life, and I enjoy working with young people. I have published two books; "A Small Mind Among Tall Trees" and "God If You Are Not Too Busy, Can You Give Me a Hand". If you want to obtain a copy drop me an e-mail or go to amazon.com or barnesand noble.com . I have been a salesman, cowman and athlete in my past. I still have a strong sense of humor and am not afraid to use it.

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Genesis 12:1-9

3R’s
Prayer-Lord, Open my heart and open my mind and help me learn. G-F-W. Amen
The Call of Abram
1 The LORD had said to Abram, "Leave your country, your people and your father's household and go to the land I will show you.
2 "I will make you into a great nation and I will bless you; I will make your name great, and you will be a blessing.
3 I will bless those who bless you, and whoever curses you I will curse; and all peoples on earth will be blessed through you."
4 So Abram left, as the LORD had told him; and Lot went with him. Abram was seventy-five years old when he set out from Haran. 5 He took his wife Sarai, his nephew Lot, all the possessions they had accumulated and the people they had acquired in Haran, and they set out for the land of Canaan, and they arrived there.
6 Abram traveled through the land as far as the site of the great tree of Moreh at Shechem. At that time the Canaanites were in the land. 7 The LORD appeared to Abram and said, "To your offspring [
a] I will give this land." So he built an altar there to the LORD, who had appeared to him.
8 From there he went on toward the hills east of Bethel and pitched his tent, with Bethel on the west and Ai on the east. There he built an altar to the LORD and called on the name of the LORD. 9 Then Abram set out and continued toward the Negev.
Abram went wherever God told him to go. When he did, he would leave the comfort and security of the places he knew just to obey God. He would leave friends and family behind and travel to a new land because God promised to build through him a great nation. God made promises to Abram, and Abram had great faith. God may be leading us to different areas where we can do great things and be of greater service to him. We can’t let ourselves get too comfortable in our places and risk missing God’s plans for us.
When Abram came to Canaan, he built an altar there to the Lord. What is all of this altar stuff? Noah built an altar and now Abram. Altars had already been used for sacrifices by people by Abrams time. For Abram. Altars were symbols of his communion with God and were monuments for big events. They were made of rock and earth and would be around for several years following, so they were effective monuments of his relationship with God. These monuments were places of worship and reminded Abram that God was the center of his life. Regular worship helps us remember that God is the center of our lives. We can build altars, but like Abram, we can not be anchored to them. God may move us at any moment.
Prayer-Lord, We want to have a relationship with you. Guide us, and send us where ever we may be of the best use for you. Go-Fight-Win. Amen.

Things to do- Read Genesis 12:10-20. Think of what monuments you have built for God.

1 Comments:

Blogger Romack said...

Very relevant to what's going on with my life right now.

I just wanted you to know what a blessing this bible study site is. Thanks for being such a blessing and encouragement each day.

9:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home