Alumni Bible Study

A Bible study initially set up for alumni of the Senior Sunday School Class at the First United Methodist Church of Lufkin, Texas. It is our hope and our prayer that this study touches the hearts of those who participate and helps spread the love and grace of Our Lord and God. All who want to learn more about God are welcome

My Photo
Name:
Location: lufkin, Texas, United States

I am a Christian family man, Lay Pastor and writer from Deep East Texas. I love life, and I enjoy working with young people. I have published two books; "A Small Mind Among Tall Trees" and "God If You Are Not Too Busy, Can You Give Me a Hand". If you want to obtain a copy drop me an e-mail or go to amazon.com or barnesand noble.com . I have been a salesman, cowman and athlete in my past. I still have a strong sense of humor and am not afraid to use it.

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Genesis 35:1-14

Relax, Read and Reflect
Prayer- Lord, Open my heart and open my mind and help me learn. Go-Fight-Win. Amen.
Jacob Returns to Bethel
1 Then God said to Jacob, "Go up to Bethel and settle there, and build an altar there to God, who appeared to you when you were fleeing from your brother Esau."
2 So Jacob said to his household and to all who were with him, "Get rid of the foreign gods you have with you, and purify yourselves and change your clothes. 3 Then come, let us go up to Bethel, where I will build an altar to God, who answered me in the day of my distress and who has been with me wherever I have gone." 4 So they gave Jacob all the foreign gods they had and the rings in their ears, and Jacob buried them under the oak at Shechem. 5 Then they set out, and the terror of God fell upon the towns all around them so that no one pursued them.
6 Jacob and all the people with him came to Luz (that is, Bethel) in the land of Canaan. 7 There he built an altar, and he called the place El Bethel, [
a] because it was there that God revealed himself to him when he was fleeing from his brother.
8 Now Deborah, Rebekah's nurse, died and was buried under the oak below Bethel. So it was named Allon Bacuth. [
b]
9 After Jacob returned from Paddan Aram, [
c] God appeared to him again and blessed him. 10 God said to him, "Your name is Jacob, [d] but you will no longer be called Jacob; your name will be Israel. [e] " So he named him Israel.
11 And God said to him, "I am God Almighty [
f] ; be fruitful and increase in number. A nation and a community of nations will come from you, and kings will come from your body. 12 The land I gave to Abraham and Isaac I also give to you, and I will give this land to your descendants after you." 13 Then God went up from him at the place where he had talked with him.
14 Jacob set up a stone pillar at the place where God had talked with him, and he poured out a drink offering on it; he also poured oil on it.
Footnotes:
Genesis 35:7 El Bethel means God of Bethel .
Genesis 35:8 Allon Bacuth means oak of weeping .
Genesis 35:9 That is, Northwest Mesopotamia; also in verse 26
Genesis 35:10 Jacob means he grasps the heel (figuratively, he deceives ).
Genesis 35:10 Israel means he struggles with God .
Genesis 35:11 Hebrew El-Shaddai
Jacob moves his family back to Bethel, to get away from his neighbors. Before he left, he told his family to surrender all their gods and idols. They did and Jacob buried them before he left. No one from the surrounding towns followed him to fight him. When he got to Bethel he built an altar and God came to visit and blessed him.
The gods and idols Jacobs family had were getting between themselves and God. Do we have gods and idols in our lives? Are they getting in between us and God? Idols do not have to be physical objects, they can be thoughts and desires. Jacob got rid of these things, had his people get rid of them, and then he buried them. He did not even want them hanging around. Shouldn’t we do the same?
Prayer- Lord, We love YOU! Give us the strength and courage to get rid of the things that keep us from You. Go-Fight-Win. Amen.
Things to do. Read Genesis 35:16-29

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home