Alumni Bible Study

A Bible study initially set up for alumni of the Senior Sunday School Class at the First United Methodist Church of Lufkin, Texas. It is our hope and our prayer that this study touches the hearts of those who participate and helps spread the love and grace of Our Lord and God. All who want to learn more about God are welcome

My Photo
Name:
Location: lufkin, Texas, United States

I am a Christian family man, Lay Pastor and writer from Deep East Texas. I love life, and I enjoy working with young people. I have published two books; "A Small Mind Among Tall Trees" and "God If You Are Not Too Busy, Can You Give Me a Hand". If you want to obtain a copy drop me an e-mail or go to amazon.com or barnesand noble.com . I have been a salesman, cowman and athlete in my past. I still have a strong sense of humor and am not afraid to use it.

Thursday, July 06, 2006

Genesis 33:13-20

Relax, Read and Reflect
Prayer- Lord, Open my heart and open my mind and help me learn. Go-Fight-Win. Amen.
12 Then Esau said, "Let us be on our way; I'll accompany you."
13 But Jacob said to him, "My lord knows that the children are tender and that I must care for the ewes and cows that are nursing their young. If they are driven hard just one day, all the animals will die. 14 So let my lord go on ahead of his servant, while I move along slowly at the pace of the droves before me and that of the children, until I come to my lord in Seir."
15 Esau said, "Then let me leave some of my men with you." "But why do that?" Jacob asked. "Just let me find favor in the eyes of my lord."
16 So that day Esau started on his way back to Seir. 17 Jacob, however, went to Succoth, where he built a place for himself and made shelters for his livestock. That is why the place is called Succoth. [
a]
18 After Jacob came from Paddan Aram, [
b] he arrived safely at the [c] city of Shechem in Canaan and camped within sight of the city. 19 For a hundred pieces of silver, [d] he bought from the sons of Hamor, the father of Shechem, the plot of ground where he pitched his tent. 20 There he set up an altar and called it El Elohe Israel. [e]
Footnotes:

Genesis 33:17 Succoth means shelters .
Genesis 33:18 That is, Northwest Mesopotamia
Genesis 33:18 Or arrived at Shalem ,
Genesis 33:19 Hebrew hundred kesitahs ; a kesitah was a unit of money of unknown weight and value.
Genesis 33:20 El Elohe Israel can mean God, the God of Israel or mighty is the God of Israel .
Esau comes, He and his brother Jacob have a reunion, Esau invites Jacob to come and live with him, and Jacob declines. Jacob says he has lots of kids, (both human and livestock,) that can’t be driven hard, and that is why he can’t go with his brother. I would have suspected that after the big return of a lost brother that they would want to "hang out" together, at least for a while. That did not happen.
Again, this shows the humanity of the players. Sometimes, when we reunite with a family member after a long separation there is an attempt to spend lost time together. Other times we just shake hands and continue with our lives. This is one of those times.
The most important thing about this chapter is that Jacob is once again is the land of Abraham, he has come home, and all is right. Things will not stay calm for long, but God told him to go home, and he did. We all need to listen to God and do what He asks us to do.
Prayer- Lord, Help us listen for you as we live our lives. Help us understand that You do not always talk through burning bushes, sometimes you talk in soft breezes. Go-Fight-Win. Amen.
Things to do- Read Genesis 34:1-17

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home