Alumni Bible Study

A Bible study initially set up for alumni of the Senior Sunday School Class at the First United Methodist Church of Lufkin, Texas. It is our hope and our prayer that this study touches the hearts of those who participate and helps spread the love and grace of Our Lord and God. All who want to learn more about God are welcome

My Photo
Name:
Location: lufkin, Texas, United States

I am a Christian family man, Lay Pastor and writer from Deep East Texas. I love life, and I enjoy working with young people. I have published two books; "A Small Mind Among Tall Trees" and "God If You Are Not Too Busy, Can You Give Me a Hand". If you want to obtain a copy drop me an e-mail or go to amazon.com or barnesand noble.com . I have been a salesman, cowman and athlete in my past. I still have a strong sense of humor and am not afraid to use it.

Monday, September 25, 2006

Genesis 46:28-34

Relax, Read and Reflect.
Prayer- Lord, Open my heart and open my mind and help me learn. Go-Fight-Win. Amen.
28-29 Jacob sent Judah on ahead to get directions to Goshen from Joseph. When they got to Goshen, Joseph gave orders for his chariot and went to Goshen to meet his father Israel. The moment Joseph saw him, he threw himself on his neck and wept. He wept a long time.
30 Israel said to Joseph, "I'm ready to die. I've looked into your face—you are indeed alive."
31-34 Joseph then spoke to his brothers and his father's family. "I'll go and tell Pharaoh, 'My brothers and my father's family, all of whom lived in Canaan, have come to me. The men are shepherds; they've always made their living by raising livestock. And they've brought their flocks and herds with them, along with everything else they own.' When Pharaoh calls you in and asks what kind of work you do, tell him, 'Your servants have always kept livestock for as long as we can remember—we and our parents also.' That way he'll let you stay apart in the area of Goshen—for Egyptians look down on anyone who is a shepherd."
Joseph finally sees his Father, and it is good. God had been with both Joseph and Jacob, and now they were together again. God had used Joseph to save his family, and had brought them to Egypt.
Re-read verses 31-34, (by the way this is from "The Message" amplified Bible, which is a paraphrase,) notice that Joseph wants his family to live apart from the rest of the Egyptians. Why? Even though they were in a different place, Joseph wanted his family to stay separate from the Egyptians. He did not want them to become absorbed into the Egyptian culture, intermarry and loose their identity-and their religion. They were set apart as a different people by God. Of course, Joseph had an Egyptian name, an Egyptian wife and kids. His line would not be pure. God works in mysterious ways, His people were segregated from the rest of the country. This kept them set apart as a nation, but it caused great problems down the road.
Prayer- Lord, As we study and learn more about You and Your people, help us to understand that we may not know why you guide us in a direction, but have faith that it is the right direction. Go-Fight-Win. Amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home