Alumni Bible Study

A Bible study initially set up for alumni of the Senior Sunday School Class at the First United Methodist Church of Lufkin, Texas. It is our hope and our prayer that this study touches the hearts of those who participate and helps spread the love and grace of Our Lord and God. All who want to learn more about God are welcome

My Photo
Name:
Location: lufkin, Texas, United States

I am a Christian family man, Lay Pastor and writer from Deep East Texas. I love life, and I enjoy working with young people. I have published two books; "A Small Mind Among Tall Trees" and "God If You Are Not Too Busy, Can You Give Me a Hand". If you want to obtain a copy drop me an e-mail or go to amazon.com or barnesand noble.com . I have been a salesman, cowman and athlete in my past. I still have a strong sense of humor and am not afraid to use it.

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Romans 7:7-12

Relax, Read and Reflect
Prayer- Lord, Open our heart and open our minds and help us learn. Go-Fight-Win. Amen.

7What shall we say, then? Is the law sin? Certainly not! Indeed I would not have known what sin was except through the law. For I would not have known what coveting really was if the law had not said, "Do not covet."[
] 8But sin, seizing the opportunity afforded by the commandment, produced in me every kind of covetous desire. For apart from law, sin is dead. 9Once I was alive apart from law; but when the commandment came, sin sprang to life and I died. 10I found that the very commandment that was intended to bring life actually brought death.
11For sin, seizing the opportunity afforded by the commandment, deceived me, and through the commandment put me to death. 12So then, the law is holy, and the commandment is holy, righteous and good.
Without law there is no sin. OK... Then if we do not know what laws are, are we still sinning? Yes-no-maybe. Even if we have not heard the law, we can still mess up. If we drive down in Mexico and see a sign saying "ALTO! Vacas!" we probably don’t know what that says. If we hit a cow we might have a clue, but the deed is done.
Sin confuses us, and uses the law to do it. There may be things we would never do, but because there are laws against them, we are tempted to do them. Drugs, wild sexual parties and the like. Looking at them logically we would never do them. Sin uses the laws to twist our thoughts, and then get us in trouble. If we focus on Gods love for us, and understand that His laws are there to protect us, then we can avoid sin.
Prayer- Lord, Help us use your laws as you intended them to be, tools for a better and happier life. Help us resist sin and temptation, and keep us safe from evil.Go-Fight-Win. Amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home