Alumni Bible Study

A Bible study initially set up for alumni of the Senior Sunday School Class at the First United Methodist Church of Lufkin, Texas. It is our hope and our prayer that this study touches the hearts of those who participate and helps spread the love and grace of Our Lord and God. All who want to learn more about God are welcome

My Photo
Name:
Location: lufkin, Texas, United States

I am a Christian family man, Lay Pastor and writer from Deep East Texas. I love life, and I enjoy working with young people. I have published two books; "A Small Mind Among Tall Trees" and "God If You Are Not Too Busy, Can You Give Me a Hand". If you want to obtain a copy drop me an e-mail or go to amazon.com or barnesand noble.com . I have been a salesman, cowman and athlete in my past. I still have a strong sense of humor and am not afraid to use it.

Monday, October 29, 2007

Romans 9:22-29

Relax, Read and Reflect
Prayer- Lord, Open our hearts and open our minds and help us learn. Go-Fight-Win. Amen.

22What if God, choosing to show his wrath and make his power known, bore with great patience the objects of his wrath—prepared for destruction? 23What if he did this to make the riches of his glory known to the objects of his mercy, whom he prepared in advance for glory— 24even us, whom he also called, not only from the Jews but also from the Gentiles? 25As he says in Hosea: "I will call them 'my people' who are not my people; and I will call her 'my loved one' who is not my loved one,"[a] 26and, "It will happen that in the very place where it was said to them, 'You are not my people,' they will be called 'sons of the living God.' "[b]
27Isaiah cries out concerning Israel: "Though the number of the Israelites be like the sand by the sea, only the remnant will be saved. 28For the Lord will carry out his sentence on earth with speed and finality."[
c]
29It is just as Isaiah said previously: "Unless the Lord Almighty had left us descendants, we would have become like Sodom, we would have been like Gomorrah."

Okay, This is a little longer reading than usual. However, it all flows together. Have you ever wondered how the Old Testament and New Testament tied together? Basically, it's by prophecy. Paul knew the Hebrew Bible(Old Testament,) well. He quotes the prophet Hosea saying "I will call them my people who are not my people." Paul interprets this, (as do I,) as meaning the gentiles.
Paul was a good Jew, and whenever he went into a new town he preached to the Jews first, so that they would have the first opportunity to accept the "Good News." Sadly, they usually did not accept Paul. Paul knew he was commanded to spread his message to everyone, and had more success with the Gentiles, fulfilling Hosea's prophecy.
Can we do the same? Can we spread the news to all people? We can if we want to please God, (and we all want to please God.)
Prayer- Lord, Give us the strength and courage to spread your gospel. Go-Fight-Win. Amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home