Alumni Bible Study

A Bible study initially set up for alumni of the Senior Sunday School Class at the First United Methodist Church of Lufkin, Texas. It is our hope and our prayer that this study touches the hearts of those who participate and helps spread the love and grace of Our Lord and God. All who want to learn more about God are welcome

My Photo
Name:
Location: lufkin, Texas, United States

I am a Christian family man, Lay Pastor and writer from Deep East Texas. I love life, and I enjoy working with young people. I have published two books; "A Small Mind Among Tall Trees" and "God If You Are Not Too Busy, Can You Give Me a Hand". If you want to obtain a copy drop me an e-mail or go to amazon.com or barnesand noble.com . I have been a salesman, cowman and athlete in my past. I still have a strong sense of humor and am not afraid to use it.

Thursday, February 16, 2006

Epehsians 1: 15-18;

Relax, Read and Reflect (3R’s)
Dear God, Open my heart and open my mind, and help me learn .G-F-W. Amen.
Ephesians 1:15-18 (New International Version)
Thanksgiving and Prayer

15For this reason, ever since I heard about your faith in the Lord Jesus and your love for all the saints, 16I have not stopped giving thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers. 17I keep asking that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give you the Spirit[
a] of wisdom and revelation, so that you may know him better. 18I pray also that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints,

The subtitle for these verses is Thanksgiving and Prayer. If your Bible has these little subtitles in it, pay attention, these are hints. Paul is praying that the Ephesians would know Christ better. He wants them to have a personal relationship with Christ.
This prayer may be for all of us, so that we-the church present- will know Christ personally. Christ is our pattern, our model. The more we know of him, the more we can be like him. This is the translation of these same verses from The Message:
Ephesians 1:15-18 (The Message)

15That's why, when I heard of the solid trust you have in the Master Jesus and your outpouring of love to all the Christians, 16I couldn't stop thanking God for you--every time I prayed, I'd think of you and give thanks. 17But I do more than thank. I ask--ask the God of our Master, Jesus Christ, the God of glory--to make you intelligent and discerning in knowing him personally, 18your eyes focused and clear, so that you can see exactly what it is he is calling you to do, grasp the immensity of this glorious way of life he has for Christians,
Sometimes it helps to read several translations to really let the word sink in. Even though we may have read the same verses over and over, if it is revealed in different words, we may be able to see these verses in a new and different way. That is part of Getting to Know Christ in a more personal level. End of sermon.
Verse 18 is very important. The hope we have is not a small feeling that things should get better in the future, but positive assurance of certain victory through God and Christ. That assurance comes to us through the Holy Spirit who is working in us.
Prayer-Lord, I want to know you better in a more personal way. Walk with me and send your Spirit to dwell in my heart-forever! G-F-W. Amen
Things to do today:
Read Ephesians 1:19-23
Take time to get to know Jesus personally
Thank God for living with us through the spirit

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home