Alumni Bible Study

A Bible study initially set up for alumni of the Senior Sunday School Class at the First United Methodist Church of Lufkin, Texas. It is our hope and our prayer that this study touches the hearts of those who participate and helps spread the love and grace of Our Lord and God. All who want to learn more about God are welcome

My Photo
Name:
Location: lufkin, Texas, United States

I am a Christian family man, Lay Pastor and writer from Deep East Texas. I love life, and I enjoy working with young people. I have published two books; "A Small Mind Among Tall Trees" and "God If You Are Not Too Busy, Can You Give Me a Hand". If you want to obtain a copy drop me an e-mail or go to amazon.com or barnesand noble.com . I have been a salesman, cowman and athlete in my past. I still have a strong sense of humor and am not afraid to use it.

Friday, April 21, 2006

Genesis 13:14-18

3R’s
Prayer-Lord, open my heart and open my mind and help me learn. Go-Fight-Win. Amen.
14The Lord said to Abram after Lot had left him, Lift up now your eyes and look from the place where you are, northward and southward and eastward and westward;
15For all the land which you see I will give to you and to your posterity forever.(
A)
16And I will make your descendants like the dust of the earth, so that if a man could count the dust of the earth, then could your descendants also be counted.(
B)
17Arise, walk through the land, the length of it and the breadth of it, for I will give it to you.
18Then Abram moved his tent and came and dwelt among the oaks or terebinths of Mamre, which are at Hebron, and built there an altar to the Lord.
I took these verses from the Amplified Version of the Bible. All of the various English translation were pretty close,(except for the King James, of course.) One of the big advantages of living in an age where we have many translations is that we can read from different ones and maybe pick up something that we have missed in another translation. I believe that God talks to us through the Bible, and that communication is the key, not what translation or dialect we may use.
Abram was given a big range, to use our Texan terms. God gave him an entire nation to inhabit, and promised that he would be the start of this new nation. This version uses the term "your posterity", and that means his family. What did Abram do? He did not have any children of his own, how could he be the father of a big family? Instead of worrying, he does what God tells him to do, he moves into the country and then builds an altar to praise God. Abram has it going on.
Do we question God when it seems like he is telling us to do something we think is impossible? Sure, we all do. Read that again. WE ALL DO! Why? God can do anything. Instead of questioning and second guessing God, we all should follow Abram’s example and praise God instead. Once we can accept that God can do great things in our lives, he will.
Prayer-Lord, I want to do great things for you and in spite of my weakness. Give me strength and wisdom, but most of all give me faith and patience. Go-Fight-Win. Amen.
Things to do- Read Genesis 14:1-12. Prepare for great things.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home