Alumni Bible Study

A Bible study initially set up for alumni of the Senior Sunday School Class at the First United Methodist Church of Lufkin, Texas. It is our hope and our prayer that this study touches the hearts of those who participate and helps spread the love and grace of Our Lord and God. All who want to learn more about God are welcome

My Photo
Name:
Location: lufkin, Texas, United States

I am a Christian family man, Lay Pastor and writer from Deep East Texas. I love life, and I enjoy working with young people. I have published two books; "A Small Mind Among Tall Trees" and "God If You Are Not Too Busy, Can You Give Me a Hand". If you want to obtain a copy drop me an e-mail or go to amazon.com or barnesand noble.com . I have been a salesman, cowman and athlete in my past. I still have a strong sense of humor and am not afraid to use it.

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Genesis 29:14-30

Relax, Read and Reflect
Prayer-Lord, Open my heart and open my mind and help me learn. Go-Fight-Win. Amen.
14 Then Laban said to him, "You are my own flesh and blood."
Jacob Marries Leah and Rachel
After Jacob had stayed with him for a whole month, 15 Laban said to him, "Just because you are a relative of mine, should you work for me for nothing? Tell me what your wages should be."
16 Now Laban had two daughters; the name of the older was Leah, and the name of the younger was Rachel. 17 Leah had weak [
a] eyes, but Rachel was lovely in form, and beautiful. 18 Jacob was in love with Rachel and said, "I'll work for you seven years in return for your younger daughter Rachel."
19 Laban said, "It's better that I give her to you than to some other man. Stay here with me." 20 So Jacob served seven years to get Rachel, but they seemed like only a few days to him because of his love for her.
21 Then Jacob said to Laban, "Give me my wife. My time is completed, and I want to lie with her."
22 So Laban brought together all the people of the place and gave a feast. 23 But when evening came, he took his daughter Leah and gave her to Jacob, and Jacob lay with her. 24 And Laban gave his servant girl Zilpah to his daughter as her maidservant.
25 When morning came, there was Leah! So Jacob said to Laban, "What is this you have done to me? I served you for Rachel, didn't I? Why have you deceived me?"
26 Laban replied, "It is not our custom here to give the younger daughter in marriage before the older one. 27 Finish this daughter's bridal week; then we will give you the younger one also, in return for another seven years of work."
28 And Jacob did so. He finished the week with Leah, and then Laban gave him his daughter Rachel to be his wife. 29 Laban gave his servant girl Bilhah to his daughter Rachel as her maidservant. 30 Jacob lay with Rachel also, and he loved Rachel more than Leah. And he worked for Laban another seven years.
Some people work for wages, Jacob worked for wives. He had nothing to give for a wife, as was the custom of the day. Instead he offered hard work, and seven years of it. Rachel was cute, but her older sister Leah was not, (a lazy eye perhaps?) Jacob worked towards the cute one, but on his wedding night, Laban substituted the plain older sister. How ironic, Jacob had deceived his father and brother, now his uncle deceived him.
He did get to marry Rachael soon afterwards, but he had to work for his father-in-law for seven more years to buy her. Jacob worked a total of fourteen years to get what he wanted. The brash young man developed patience. Many times it seems like we can’t wait for things to work out. Human dramas are solved every night on TV in less than an hour. We, as a people lack patience. If something is truly valuable, shouldn’t we be able to wait for it? God has wonderful things planned for all of us, all we have to do is be patient. This is more than just romantically, but that is a very good start.
Prayer- God, help us be patient. We know that you have great things in store for all of us. Help us wait for the right time-and the right people. Go-Fight-Win. Amen.
Things to do -Read Genesis 29:31-35, 30: 1-9

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home