Alumni Bible Study

A Bible study initially set up for alumni of the Senior Sunday School Class at the First United Methodist Church of Lufkin, Texas. It is our hope and our prayer that this study touches the hearts of those who participate and helps spread the love and grace of Our Lord and God. All who want to learn more about God are welcome

My Photo
Name:
Location: lufkin, Texas, United States

I am a Christian family man, Lay Pastor and writer from Deep East Texas. I love life, and I enjoy working with young people. I have published two books; "A Small Mind Among Tall Trees" and "God If You Are Not Too Busy, Can You Give Me a Hand". If you want to obtain a copy drop me an e-mail or go to amazon.com or barnesand noble.com . I have been a salesman, cowman and athlete in my past. I still have a strong sense of humor and am not afraid to use it.

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Genesis 27:22-29

Relax, Read and Reflect
Prayer-Lord, Open my heart and open my mind and help me learn. Go-Fight-Win. Amen.
22 Jacob went close to his father Isaac, who touched him and said, "The voice is the voice of Jacob, but the hands are the hands of Esau." 23 He did not recognize him, for his hands were hairy like those of his brother Esau; so he blessed him. 24 "Are you really my son Esau?" he asked. "I am," he replied.
25 Then he said, "My son, bring me some of your game to eat, so that I may give you my blessing." Jacob brought it to him and he ate; and he brought some wine and he drank. 26 Then his father Isaac said to him, "Come here, my son, and kiss me."
27 So he went to him and kissed him. When Isaac caught the smell of his clothes, he blessed him and said, "Ah, the smell of my son is like the smell of a field that the LORD has blessed.
28 May God give you of heaven's dew and of earth's richness— an abundance of grain and new wine.
29 May nations serve you and peoples bow down to you. Be lord over your brothers, and may the sons of your mother bow down to you. May those who curse you be cursed and those who bless you be blessed."
Jacob had to hide his true identity from his father. He tricked him, but paid a big price. If he had been patient, the birthright would have been his anyway,(Genesis 25:23) but he could not wait for God.
Jacob had to know this would not sit well with his big brother, His big, tough, mean brother. Sometimes we don’t think things through. Did Rebekah think she could control Esau as well as she controlled Jacob? That would prove to be a mistake.
We do the same in our lives today. We know that God is in control, and will provide, but we can’t always wait on God. When we take control, that is usually when things spin out of control and we wreck. Sometimes, the things that we are trying to get the most are what we end up losing. Read further and find what Jacob gives up.
Prayer- Lord, help us do things in your time, not ours. Give us patience to wait, and the wisdom to see the big picture. Go-Fight-Win. Amen.
Things to do today-Read Genesis 27:30-40

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home