Alumni Bible Study

A Bible study initially set up for alumni of the Senior Sunday School Class at the First United Methodist Church of Lufkin, Texas. It is our hope and our prayer that this study touches the hearts of those who participate and helps spread the love and grace of Our Lord and God. All who want to learn more about God are welcome

My Photo
Name:
Location: lufkin, Texas, United States

I am a Christian family man, Lay Pastor and writer from Deep East Texas. I love life, and I enjoy working with young people. I have published two books; "A Small Mind Among Tall Trees" and "God If You Are Not Too Busy, Can You Give Me a Hand". If you want to obtain a copy drop me an e-mail or go to amazon.com or barnesand noble.com . I have been a salesman, cowman and athlete in my past. I still have a strong sense of humor and am not afraid to use it.

Monday, June 26, 2006

Genesis 30:37-43

Relax, Read and Reflect
Prayer- Lord, open my heart and open my mind and help me learn. Go Fight-Win. Amen.
37-42 But Jacob got fresh branches from poplar, almond, and plane trees and peeled the bark, leaving white stripes on them. He stuck the peeled branches in front of the watering troughs where the flocks came to drink. When the flocks were in heat, they came to drink and mated in front of the streaked branches. Then they gave birth to young that were streaked or spotted or speckled. Jacob placed the ewes before the dark-colored animals of Laban. That way he got distinctive flocks for himself which he didn't mix with Laban's flocks. And when the sturdier animals were mating, Jacob placed branches at the troughs in view of the animals so that they mated in front of the branches. But he wouldn't set up the branches before the feebler animals. That way the feeble animals went to Laban and the sturdy ones to Jacob.
43 The man got richer and richer, acquiring huge flocks, lots and lots of servants, not to mention camels and donkeys.
This is kind of a weird passage. I have been a herdsman all of my life, and this makes no sense to me. Some old timer put great faith that vivid impressions at the time of mating influenced the offspring, therefore broken branches would cause broken colors in the strong animals, and these would be Jacobs. This is not verifiable, but God did fulfill his promise to Jacob that he would be prosperous. Jacob stayed to acquire wealth, but he would soon feel the need to go home.
We will travel to distant places to make a living, but wherever we are, we are always with God.
Prayer- Show us the path you would have us take. Keep us going forward, and continue to help us as we do Your work. Go Fight-Win. Amen.
Things to do- Read Genesis 31:1-21

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home