Alumni Bible Study

A Bible study initially set up for alumni of the Senior Sunday School Class at the First United Methodist Church of Lufkin, Texas. It is our hope and our prayer that this study touches the hearts of those who participate and helps spread the love and grace of Our Lord and God. All who want to learn more about God are welcome

My Photo
Name:
Location: lufkin, Texas, United States

I am a Christian family man, Lay Pastor and writer from Deep East Texas. I love life, and I enjoy working with young people. I have published two books; "A Small Mind Among Tall Trees" and "God If You Are Not Too Busy, Can You Give Me a Hand". If you want to obtain a copy drop me an e-mail or go to amazon.com or barnesand noble.com . I have been a salesman, cowman and athlete in my past. I still have a strong sense of humor and am not afraid to use it.

Friday, June 23, 2006

Genesi 30:25-36

Relax, Read and Reflect
Prayer-Lord, open my heart and open my mind and help me learn. Go-Fight-Win. Amen.

25 After Rachel gave birth to Joseph, Jacob said to Laban, "Send me on my way so I can go back to my own homeland. 26 Give me my wives and children, for whom I have served you, and I will be on my way. You know how much work I've done for you."
27 But Laban said to him, "If I have found favor in your eyes, please stay. I have learned by divination that [
a] the LORD has blessed me because of you." 28 He added, "Name your wages, and I will pay them."
29 Jacob said to him, "You know how I have worked for you and how your livestock has fared under my care. 30 The little you had before I came has increased greatly, and the LORD has blessed you wherever I have been. But now, when may I do something for my own household?"
31 "What shall I give you?" he asked. "Don't give me anything," Jacob replied. "But if you will do this one thing for me, I will go on tending your flocks and watching over them: 32 Let me go through all your flocks today and remove from them every speckled or spotted sheep, every dark-colored lamb and every spotted or speckled goat. They will be my wages. 33 And my honesty will testify for me in the future, whenever you check on the wages you have paid me. Any goat in my possession that is not speckled or spotted, or any lamb that is not dark-colored, will be considered stolen."
34 "Agreed," said Laban. "Let it be as you have said." 35 That same day he removed all the male goats that were streaked or spotted, and all the speckled or spotted female goats (all that had white on them) and all the dark-colored lambs, and he placed them in the care of his sons. 36 Then he put a three-day journey between himself and Jacob, while Jacob continued to tend the rest of Laban's flocks.
Jacob wants to go home, even though he knows there is a good chance Esau will still want to kill him. He is in a foreign land however, and is homesick for the land of his father and grandfather. He has prospered, has many sons, and he knows God wants him to go home.
Laban does not want him to leave. He has prospered as well, and does not want Jacob to leave. So Jacob makes a deal with Laban to stay. In 30:27, Laban says he has learned by divination that God has blessed him because of Jacob. This means that Laban is worshiping other deities, probably idols, instead of Jacobs one God. Do we as Christians still worship idols even though we know there is only one true God? Think about it.
Prayer- Lord, Make us prosperous, give us your blessings. We love you and know You are our Lord. Go-Fight-Win. Amen.
Things to do- Read Genesis 30:37-43

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home