Alumni Bible Study

A Bible study initially set up for alumni of the Senior Sunday School Class at the First United Methodist Church of Lufkin, Texas. It is our hope and our prayer that this study touches the hearts of those who participate and helps spread the love and grace of Our Lord and God. All who want to learn more about God are welcome

My Photo
Name:
Location: lufkin, Texas, United States

I am a Christian family man, Lay Pastor and writer from Deep East Texas. I love life, and I enjoy working with young people. I have published two books; "A Small Mind Among Tall Trees" and "God If You Are Not Too Busy, Can You Give Me a Hand". If you want to obtain a copy drop me an e-mail or go to amazon.com or barnesand noble.com . I have been a salesman, cowman and athlete in my past. I still have a strong sense of humor and am not afraid to use it.

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Ephesians 2:11-18

Relax, Read and reflect (3R's)

Prayer God, Help me to open my heart and open my mind and help me to learn. G-F-W. Amen.


Ephesians 2:11-18 (New International Version)

One in Christ superior11Therefore, remember that formerly you who are Gentiles by birth and called "uncircumcised" by those who call themselves "the circumcision" (that done in the body by the hands of men)- 12remember that at that time you were separate from Christ, excluded from citizenship in Israel and foreigners to the covenants of the promise, without hope and without God in the world. 13But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far away have been brought near through the blood of Christ. 14For he himself is our peace, who has made the two one and has destroyed the barrier, the dividing wall of hostility, 15by abolishing in his flesh the law with its commandments and regulations. His purpose was to create in himself one new man out of the two, thus making peace, 16and in this one body to reconcile both of them to God through the cross, by which he put to death their hostility. 17He came and preached peace to you who were far away and peace to those who were near. 18For through him we both have access to the Father by one Spirit.


The title that the translation of the Bible gives these verses is "One in Christ." Paul starts out by talking about the differences between Jew and gentile. Obviously, the Jews are circumcised in religious ritual and at the time considered them to be better than the "uncircumcised" gentiles. The gentiles looked down on the Jews because that felt they had a false since of superiority. Paul say's that not only are we one in Christ, but none of us are worthy to be with Christ, except that he shed blood for all
of us. Christ has brought together all peoples, making us one body. Everyone is the same, and only through his grace can any of us be like him.
Paul may be referring to the squabble in Ephesus between Jew and gentile, but it is still relevant to the Church today. So many times we know of situations where some
Christians feel superior to others. Either between Catholic and Protestant, or between denominations of the protestant faiths. We are all equal in the eyes of God, and this is only because he loves us, not because of the way we act. We must live in peace, not only with other believers but with all peoples.
I don't know about everyone, but this will take some practice for me. I can cop an attitude pretty quick. I feel that because I do "so much for the Kingdom of God," that I am better than others. I am no more important than any other who professes to be a part of Christ's church. However, no other is more important to God than me, not even the Pope. That's a fair shake. Prayer Dear Lord, Help me remember that I am equal to other believers, no better, no worse. Help me treat all my brothers and sisters as I want to be treated. Go-Fight-Win. Amen.
Things to do today:
1. Read Ephesians 2:19-22
2. Reach out to your friends and tell them you love them
3. Reach out to a stranger and show God's love

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home