Alumni Bible Study

A Bible study initially set up for alumni of the Senior Sunday School Class at the First United Methodist Church of Lufkin, Texas. It is our hope and our prayer that this study touches the hearts of those who participate and helps spread the love and grace of Our Lord and God. All who want to learn more about God are welcome

My Photo
Name:
Location: lufkin, Texas, United States

I am a Christian family man, Lay Pastor and writer from Deep East Texas. I love life, and I enjoy working with young people. I have published two books; "A Small Mind Among Tall Trees" and "God If You Are Not Too Busy, Can You Give Me a Hand". If you want to obtain a copy drop me an e-mail or go to amazon.com or barnesand noble.com . I have been a salesman, cowman and athlete in my past. I still have a strong sense of humor and am not afraid to use it.

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Genesis 14:13-24

3R’s
Prayer-Lord, Open my heart and open my mind and help me learn. G-F-W. Amen.
13 One who had escaped came and reported this to Abram the Hebrew. Now Abram was living near the great trees of Mamre the Amorite, a brother [

a
] of Eshcol and Aner, all of whom were allied with Abram. 14 When Abram heard that his relative had been taken captive, he called out the 318 trained men born in his household and went in pursuit as far as Dan. 15 During the night Abram divided his men to attack them and he routed them, pursuing them as far as Hobah, north of Damascus. 16 He recovered all the goods and brought back his relative Lot and his possessions, together with the women and the other people.
17 After Abram returned from defeating Kedorlaomer and the kings allied with him, the king of Sodom came out to meet him in the Valley of Shaveh (that is, the King's Valley).
18 Then Melchizedek king of Salem [
b] brought out bread and wine. He was priest of God Most High, 19 and he blessed Abram, saying, "Blessed be Abram by God Most High, Creator [c] of heaven and earth.
20 And blessed be [
d] God Most High, who delivered your enemies into your hand." Then Abram gave him a tenth of everything.
21 The king of Sodom said to Abram, "Give me the people and keep the goods for yourself."
22 But Abram said to the king of Sodom, "I have raised my hand to the LORD, God Most High, Creator of heaven and earth, and have taken an oath 23 that I will accept nothing belonging to you, not even a thread or the thong of a sandal, so that you will never be able to say, 'I made Abram rich.' 24 I will accept nothing but what my men have eaten and the share that belongs to the men who went with me—to Aner, Eshcol and Mamre. Let them have their share."
Abram was bad, I mean he was really tough. He and his commandoes did something that the armies of the kings of Sodom and Gomorrah could not do. How did he do it? Abram shows us a couple of characteristics in his rescue of Lot.
One; he was prepared , he had trained his men to fight, and to follow him even if it appeared to be foolish. Abrams men were the first Hebrew commandoes, and fought as such. They attacked before dawn, after a long forced march. This totally took the enemies by surprise. Second; he had faith that God would be with him. His devotion to God was rewarded.
After his victory he did some unusual things. Not only did he recover his nephew Lot, he recovered all the things taken from the Plains of Salem. He gave a tenth of the booty to the king, a form of early tithing. He refused, however to accept anything from the King of Sodom, because he did not want people to think that the King of Sodom made him rich. All of the glory had to go to God.
What do people see when they look at your accomplishments? Who gets the credit-you or God?
Prayer- Lord, Give me the courage to do your work. Help me show the world how great YOU are. Go-Fight-Win. Amen.
Things to do today- Read Genesis 15:1-21.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home