Alumni Bible Study

A Bible study initially set up for alumni of the Senior Sunday School Class at the First United Methodist Church of Lufkin, Texas. It is our hope and our prayer that this study touches the hearts of those who participate and helps spread the love and grace of Our Lord and God. All who want to learn more about God are welcome

My Photo
Name:
Location: lufkin, Texas, United States

I am a Christian family man, Lay Pastor and writer from Deep East Texas. I love life, and I enjoy working with young people. I have published two books; "A Small Mind Among Tall Trees" and "God If You Are Not Too Busy, Can You Give Me a Hand". If you want to obtain a copy drop me an e-mail or go to amazon.com or barnesand noble.com . I have been a salesman, cowman and athlete in my past. I still have a strong sense of humor and am not afraid to use it.

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Genesis 6:9-22

3R’s
Prayer-Lord, open my heart and open my mind and help me learn. G-F-W. Amen.
9 This is the account of Noah. Noah was a righteous man, blameless among the people of his time, and he walked with God. 10 Noah had three sons: Shem, Ham and Japheth.
11 Now the earth was corrupt in God's sight and was full of violence. 12 God saw how corrupt the earth had become, for all the people on earth had corrupted their ways. 13 So God said to Noah, "I am going to put an end to all people, for the earth is filled with violence because of them. I am surely going to destroy both them and the earth. 14 So make yourself an ark of cypress [
a] wood; make rooms in it and coat it with pitch inside and out. 15 This is how you are to build it: The ark is to be 450 feet long, 75 feet wide and 45 feet high. [b] 16 Make a roof for it and finish [c] the ark to within 18 inches [d] of the top. Put a door in the side of the ark and make lower, middle and upper decks. 17 I am going to bring floodwaters on the earth to destroy all life under the heavens, every creature that has the breath of life in it. Everything on earth will perish. 18 But I will establish my covenant with you, and you will enter the ark—you and your sons and your wife and your sons' wives with you. 19 You are to bring into the ark two of all living creatures, male and female, to keep them alive with you. 20 Two of every kind of bird, of every kind of animal and of every kind of creature that moves along the ground will come to you to be kept alive. 21 You are to take every kind of food that is to be eaten and store it away as food for you and for them."
22 Noah did everything just as God commanded him.
God gave Noah directions, but what God was telling Noah must have seemed crazy. He was supposed to build a boat, away from the ocean or lake, one and a half football fields long, 45 feet high and 75 feet wide. Remember the tools he and his sons would use? They had bronze axes, very primitive saws and other basic hand tools. This would be like saying to us, build the empire state building with no power tools or good welders.
Don’t you know people made fun of him? This was not even close to being normal, then after he spent no telling how many years building this boat, he had to collect animals and feed,(some of the animals were feed.) I understand that Noah heard God, and that might make it easier to believe, but he had to put God ahead of everything, job, money and family. Look at verse 22, "Noah did everything just as God commanded him. I can not think of a better epitaph than that one. Can people say that about us? What has God commanded you to do lately? Did you Obey?
Prayer-God, help me do everything you command of me. Go-Fight-Win. Amen
Things to do-Read Genesis 7:1-12, listen to what God is commanding, then do it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home