Alumni Bible Study

A Bible study initially set up for alumni of the Senior Sunday School Class at the First United Methodist Church of Lufkin, Texas. It is our hope and our prayer that this study touches the hearts of those who participate and helps spread the love and grace of Our Lord and God. All who want to learn more about God are welcome

My Photo
Name:
Location: lufkin, Texas, United States

I am a Christian family man, Lay Pastor and writer from Deep East Texas. I love life, and I enjoy working with young people. I have published two books; "A Small Mind Among Tall Trees" and "God If You Are Not Too Busy, Can You Give Me a Hand". If you want to obtain a copy drop me an e-mail or go to amazon.com or barnesand noble.com . I have been a salesman, cowman and athlete in my past. I still have a strong sense of humor and am not afraid to use it.

Thursday, March 30, 2006

Genesis 4:9-16

3R’s
Prayer-Lord, Open my heart and open my mind and help me learn. G-F-W. Amen.
9 Then the LORD said to Cain, "Where is your brother Abel?" "I don't know," he replied. "Am I my brother's keeper?"

10 The LORD said, "What have you done? Listen! Your brother's blood cries out to me from the ground. 11 Now you are under a curse and driven from the ground, which opened its mouth to receive your brother's blood from your hand. 12 When you work the ground, it will no longer yield its crops for you. You will be a restless wanderer on the earth."
13 Cain said to the LORD, "My punishment is more than I can bear. 14 Today you are driving me from the land, and I will be hidden from your presence; I will be a restless wanderer on the earth, and whoever finds me will kill me."
15 But the LORD said to him, "Not so [
a] ; if anyone kills Cain, he will suffer vengeance seven times over." Then the LORD put a mark on Cain so that no one who found him would kill him. 16 So Cain went out from the LORD's presence and lived in the land of Nod, [b] east of Eden.
How Did Cain kill Abel? He shed his blood, and blood is life. Only God creates blood and only God has the authority to take it away. It is fascinating to see how sin evolves in us. Adam and Eve ate one little piece of fruit, and sinned against God. The first generation of man, their children, had taken sin so far that they murdered each other, sinning against each other as well as God. That is the nature of sin, it doesn’t take long for a small sin to grow big,(has anyone seen the Veggie Tales episode of the Rumor Weed?)
The simple answer to part of today’s reading is "Yes, you are your brothers keeper." We all need to look after each other. Cain’s punishment was severe, remember he was the farmer, the botanist. He lost his job, his home, everything and had to roam around, scrounging for a living. One generation from the Garden, his family was just barely ahead of the other animals, and losing ground quick.
Let me address what some are thinking. "If Cain and Able were Adam and Eve’s first children, and Adam and Eve were the first people on the earth, why was Cain afraid of getting killed by other people? (V.14) Adam and Eve multiplyed, and often. The human race was genetically pure, so they did intermarry, by necessity. They were others in the family, the big family, that might have wanted to take revenge on Cain, and God would not allow that. That my story, and I am sticking with it.
Prayer-God, Help us from letting sin take over our lives, and let us always remember that we are our brothers keepers. Go-Fight-Win. Amen.
Things to do today-Read Genesis 4:17-26 Remeber to be nice to your brothers and sisters.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you so much for explaining some of the verses l wasnt understanding , my keen was to read , understand and know the deep things of God through the word but most of the time l spent browsing through the bible without understanding.

2:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home