Alumni Bible Study

A Bible study initially set up for alumni of the Senior Sunday School Class at the First United Methodist Church of Lufkin, Texas. It is our hope and our prayer that this study touches the hearts of those who participate and helps spread the love and grace of Our Lord and God. All who want to learn more about God are welcome

My Photo
Name:
Location: lufkin, Texas, United States

I am a Christian family man, Lay Pastor and writer from Deep East Texas. I love life, and I enjoy working with young people. I have published two books; "A Small Mind Among Tall Trees" and "God If You Are Not Too Busy, Can You Give Me a Hand". If you want to obtain a copy drop me an e-mail or go to amazon.com or barnesand noble.com . I have been a salesman, cowman and athlete in my past. I still have a strong sense of humor and am not afraid to use it.

Friday, March 31, 2006

Genesis 4:17-26

3R’s
Prayer-Lord, Open my heart and open my mind and help me learn. G-F-W. Amen
.
17 Cain lay with his wife, and she became pregnant and gave birth to Enoch. Cain was then building a city, and he named it after his son Enoch. 18 To Enoch was born Irad, and Irad was the father of Mehujael, and Mehujael was the father of Methushael, and Methushael was the father of Lamech.
19 Lamech married two women, one named Adah and the other Zillah. 20 Adah gave birth to Jabal; he was the father of those who live in tents and raise livestock. 21 His brother's name was Jubal; he was the father of all who play the harp and flute. 22 Zillah also had a son, Tubal-Cain, who forged all kinds of tools out of [
a] bronze and iron. Tubal-Cain's sister was Naamah.
23 Lamech said to his wives, "Adah and Zillah, listen to me; wives of Lamech, hear my words. I have killed [
b] a man for wounding me, a young man for injuring me.
24 If Cain is avenged seven times, then Lamech seventy-seven times."
25 Adam lay with his wife again, and she gave birth to a son and named him Seth, [
c] saying, "God has granted me another child in place of Abel, since Cain killed him." 26 Seth also had a son, and he named him Enosh. At that time men began to call on [d] the name of the LORD.
At first glance, these verses seem boring and of little use to us. This is a story of heritage, a description of the first families. Read the verses again, this time look for similarities between the early families and families of today.
Lamech and his sons had various talents, but they also turned even farther from God. Lamech killed people all of the time, (he shot a man in Reno; just to watch him die.) The line of Cain was sinking into bad behavior.
Seth is born to replace Able as the good child. He is the line that will be studieed in the rest of the Bible. His decedents began to call on the name of the Lord.
Man, if left to himself, will turn to evil. It is easier, and evil makes evil. If someone does you wrong, it is a human condition to retaliate. Only through God can we live righteous lives. This is why these verses are important.
Prayer- Lord, we cry out to you, not as a baby cries, but as a father cries for joy. We know we are nothing without You, and with You, we are special.
Things to do-Read Genesis 5:1-20, do not be surprised by numbers, think about why this info is important.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home