Alumni Bible Study

A Bible study initially set up for alumni of the Senior Sunday School Class at the First United Methodist Church of Lufkin, Texas. It is our hope and our prayer that this study touches the hearts of those who participate and helps spread the love and grace of Our Lord and God. All who want to learn more about God are welcome

My Photo
Name:
Location: lufkin, Texas, United States

I am a Christian family man, Lay Pastor and writer from Deep East Texas. I love life, and I enjoy working with young people. I have published two books; "A Small Mind Among Tall Trees" and "God If You Are Not Too Busy, Can You Give Me a Hand". If you want to obtain a copy drop me an e-mail or go to amazon.com or barnesand noble.com . I have been a salesman, cowman and athlete in my past. I still have a strong sense of humor and am not afraid to use it.

Monday, June 05, 2006

Genesis 25:27-34

Relax, Read and Reflect.
Prayer-Lord, Open my heart and open my mind and help me learn. Go-Fight-Win. Amen.
27 The boys grew up, and Esau became a skillful hunter, a man of the open country, while Jacob was a quiet man, staying among the tents. 28 Isaac, who had a taste for wild game, loved Esau, but Rebekah loved Jacob.
29 Once when Jacob was cooking some stew, Esau came in from the open country, famished. 30 He said to Jacob, "Quick, let me have some of that red stew! I'm famished!" (That is why he was also called Edom. [
a] )
31 Jacob replied, "First sell me your birthright."
32 "Look, I am about to die," Esau said. "What good is the birthright to me?"
33 But Jacob said, "Swear to me first." So he swore an oath to him, selling his birthright to Jacob.
34 Then Jacob gave Esau some bread and some lentil stew. He ate and drank, and then got up and left. So Esau despised his birthright.
Footnotes:

Genesis 25:30 Edom means red .
This is a story of sibling rivalry. Esau was to oldest,(by seconds,) and so therefore by tradition was the heir to the family business and fortune. That was his birthright. Esau means red, he had red hair and was a man’s man. He like to hunt and do manly things.
Jacob was a "mama’s boy." He hung around the tents, gossiped and learned to cook. The two were different as night and day. I like Esau, he would have been a lot of fun to hang around with,(you just know he told great stories.) As macho as he was, he was prone to act rashly. He traded momentary happiness for the long term benefits. Do we act the same way? Do we act impulsive?, and want to be satisfied-Now! I know I do.
God works in the big picture, the life-not the minute. We need to re-read this passage and remember to think before we act. We won’t die if we miss a meal. Beware of such impulsive acts, they tend to have long term consequences.
Prayer- Lord, Grant us patience and wisdom. Help us to think before we act, and not be as compulsive as we tend to be. Go-Fight-Win. Amen.
Things to do today- Re-read Genesis 25:27-34. For a great essay on Esau, find "The Ben Lilley Legend" by J. Frank Dobie. It is an old book, but the last chapter is titled "Esau was a Hunter," and it really brings Esau’s personality traits to life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home