Alumni Bible Study

A Bible study initially set up for alumni of the Senior Sunday School Class at the First United Methodist Church of Lufkin, Texas. It is our hope and our prayer that this study touches the hearts of those who participate and helps spread the love and grace of Our Lord and God. All who want to learn more about God are welcome

My Photo
Name:
Location: lufkin, Texas, United States

I am a Christian family man, Lay Pastor and writer from Deep East Texas. I love life, and I enjoy working with young people. I have published two books; "A Small Mind Among Tall Trees" and "God If You Are Not Too Busy, Can You Give Me a Hand". If you want to obtain a copy drop me an e-mail or go to amazon.com or barnesand noble.com . I have been a salesman, cowman and athlete in my past. I still have a strong sense of humor and am not afraid to use it.

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Galatians 5:22-26

Relax, Read and Reflect
Prayer- Lord, Open my heart and open my mind and help me learn. Go-Fight-Win. Amen.
22But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. 24Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions and desires. 25Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. 26Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other.
The fruits of the Holy Spirit are by-products of a life with God. These are the way the Holy Spirit acts through each of us. Only Christ can give these to us, we can not just go get them. You must know Christ, love Him, remember Him and live your lives like Him. When you do, you fulfill the intended purpose of the law, to love God and your neighbors as well as yourself.
In order to live in the Spirit and accept the fruits of the Spirit, we must throw away our sins, Paul says to "crucify" them, nail them away from you until they die. This does not mean that we will never be tempted by evil, we will always have the capacity and ability to sin. We have been liberated from sin’s power by the Spirit, so we do not have to give in. We need to use the superior strength of the Spirit to overcome our sinful nature, calling on that power daily.
God wants all of our lives, not just our spiritual life. I ask Ben and Grider every morning if they are ready mentally as well as physically, spiritually as well as emotionally. This is how we live our lives. Our intellectual lives, how we use our mind and imagination is just as important as how we use our body. Beware, God does not want us to always be looking for praise and approval. Are we acting out of love or conceit. I used to have a slogan "I’m too cool to be conceited!" I said it in jest, (usually,) but many of us live our lives that way. Glory comes from God, not constant approval from ourselves.
Prayer- Lord, Help the fruits of Your Spirit grow and prosper in me. Let me show them through out the world for you. Go-Fight-Win. Amen.
Homework- Which of these qualities do you want the Spirit to produce in you?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home