Alumni Bible Study

A Bible study initially set up for alumni of the Senior Sunday School Class at the First United Methodist Church of Lufkin, Texas. It is our hope and our prayer that this study touches the hearts of those who participate and helps spread the love and grace of Our Lord and God. All who want to learn more about God are welcome

My Photo
Name:
Location: lufkin, Texas, United States

I am a Christian family man, Lay Pastor and writer from Deep East Texas. I love life, and I enjoy working with young people. I have published two books; "A Small Mind Among Tall Trees" and "God If You Are Not Too Busy, Can You Give Me a Hand". If you want to obtain a copy drop me an e-mail or go to amazon.com or barnesand noble.com . I have been a salesman, cowman and athlete in my past. I still have a strong sense of humor and am not afraid to use it.

Thursday, November 02, 2006

Galatians 5:1-6

Relax, Read and Reflect
Prayer-Lord, Open my heart and open my mind and help me learn. Go-Fight-Win. Amen.
Freedom in Christ
1It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery.
2Mark my words! I, Paul, tell you that if you let yourselves be circumcised, Christ will be of no value to you at all. 3Again I declare to every man who lets himself be circumcised that he is obligated to obey the whole law. 4You who are trying to be justified by law have been alienated from Christ; you have fallen away from grace. 5But by faith we eagerly await through the Spirit the righteousness for which we hope. 6For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision has any value. The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love.


True freedom in Christ comes from our relationships with Christ and each other, not our obeying of laws. Paul is kind of clear on this, he has been throughout the letter. Christ is of no value if all you have to do is keep the law, and of course, that is impossible. Therefore, being saved without Christ is....impossible!
Furthermore; Paul does not want people to put on the outward signs of religion. In this case it is becoming Jewish, making yourself different physically. It could be something more contemporary; wearing Jesus Fish or crosses, cross tattoos, or any other physical and outward symbol of religion. Jewelry and t-shirts do not save us or our friends. Jesus’s grace and love in our hearts is what is necessary for a life with Jesus.
Prayer- Lord, Help me remember that it is the markings inside my body that separate me from the un-saved. Help me do all I can to put those markings in others. Go-Fight-Win. Amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home