Alumni Bible Study

A Bible study initially set up for alumni of the Senior Sunday School Class at the First United Methodist Church of Lufkin, Texas. It is our hope and our prayer that this study touches the hearts of those who participate and helps spread the love and grace of Our Lord and God. All who want to learn more about God are welcome

My Photo
Name:
Location: lufkin, Texas, United States

I am a Christian family man, Lay Pastor and writer from Deep East Texas. I love life, and I enjoy working with young people. I have published two books; "A Small Mind Among Tall Trees" and "God If You Are Not Too Busy, Can You Give Me a Hand". If you want to obtain a copy drop me an e-mail or go to amazon.com or barnesand noble.com . I have been a salesman, cowman and athlete in my past. I still have a strong sense of humor and am not afraid to use it.

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Galatians 6:11-18

Relax, Read and Reflect
Prayer- Lord, Open my heart and open my mind and help me learn. Go-Fight- Win. Amen.
11See what large letters I use as I write to you with my own hand!
12Those who want to make a good impression outwardly are trying to compel you to be circumcised. The only reason they do this is to avoid being persecuted for the cross of Christ. 13Not even those who are circumcised obey the law, yet they want you to be circumcised that they may boast about your flesh. 14May I never boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which[
a] the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world. 15Neither circumcision nor uncircumcision means anything; what counts is a new creation. 16Peace and mercy to all who follow this rule, even to the Israel of God.
17Finally, let no one cause me trouble, for I bear on my body the marks of Jesus.
18The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit, brothers. Amen.

Paul wants to emphasize this last part of the letter, the last greeting, so he wrote it BIG. We have all been set free from sin by Christ-and Christ alone,(grace.) The world is full of sin, and some looks pretty enticing. We must ask God to remove these enticements from our lives daily.
The Judaizers thought that by law we become holy. The big problem was they emphasized part of the Jewish law and ignored the rest. We can act in similar fashion. We may not tolerate stealing but ignore prejudice. The rules set up for us and others are for all to folow, we can not pick and choose.
It is easy to get caght up in what is right and what is not. Beware those who emphasize outward actions instead of the condition of our heart. This is a very shallow view on life. God cares about what is inside, not outside. How much do we care about what the world thinks of us? If we believe in Jesus, we have been set free from what the world thinks. Will you use this freedom to serve God? Or, will you be enslaved by worldly actions?
Prayer- Lord- Thank you for giving us our freedom. Help us stay free to serve you, and help us resist temptation that the world uses to enslave us. Go-Fight- Win. Amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home