Alumni Bible Study

A Bible study initially set up for alumni of the Senior Sunday School Class at the First United Methodist Church of Lufkin, Texas. It is our hope and our prayer that this study touches the hearts of those who participate and helps spread the love and grace of Our Lord and God. All who want to learn more about God are welcome

My Photo
Name:
Location: lufkin, Texas, United States

I am a Christian family man, Lay Pastor and writer from Deep East Texas. I love life, and I enjoy working with young people. I have published two books; "A Small Mind Among Tall Trees" and "God If You Are Not Too Busy, Can You Give Me a Hand". If you want to obtain a copy drop me an e-mail or go to amazon.com or barnesand noble.com . I have been a salesman, cowman and athlete in my past. I still have a strong sense of humor and am not afraid to use it.

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Jonah 1:11-17

Relax, Read and Reflect
Prayer- Lord, Open our heart and open our minds and help us learn. Go-Fight-Win. Amen.
11 The sea was getting rougher and rougher. So they asked him, "What should we do to you to make the sea calm down for us?"
12 "Pick me up and throw me into the sea," he replied, "and it will become calm. I know that it is my fault that this great storm has come upon you."
13 Instead, the men did their best to row back to land. But they could not, for the sea grew even wilder than before. 14 Then they cried to the LORD, "O LORD, please do not let us die for taking this man's life. Do not hold us accountable for killing an innocent man, for you, O LORD, have done as you pleased." 15 Then they took Jonah and threw him overboard, and the raging sea grew calm. 16 At this the men greatly feared the LORD, and they offered a sacrifice to the LORD and made vows to him.
17 But the LORD provided a great fish to swallow Jonah, and Jonah was inside the fish three days and three nights.
Jonah tried to run from God until the lot fell upon him, and then he took responsibility. He showed more compassion to the pagan crew than he did for the people of Nineveh. He was will to surrender his life to save the crew.
The pagan crew is one of my favorite characters in this story. When Jonah tells them to throw him overboard to save themselves, they instead work even harder to save all. Then they begged for forgiveness for killing an innocent man, (Jonah,) and when the sea calmed down after they threw Jonah over, they worshiped God and offered sacrifices to Him. This was more than the people of Israel were willing to do at this time. They believed.
Was Jonah really swallowed by a great fish? Or was this just a wild tale? I do not know, nor do I care. Could God save Jonah in such a fashion? I really believe he can do anything. This is part of my faith. It is not important to me if God has really done anything, because I know that anything is possible through God. A man living for three days in a fishes belly, (note the time reference,) that is nothing compared to saving the entire world with the sacrifice of His Son. Do not get caught in a discussion of God doing small things. If people can not accept Jonah and the fish, move on. The important acceptance is Jesus in their hearts.
Prayer- Lord, I know that there is nothing too big for you to take care of. Thank you for still doing miracles today. Go-Fight-Win. Amen.
Things to do- Think about the miracles you have seen God do today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home