Alumni Bible Study

A Bible study initially set up for alumni of the Senior Sunday School Class at the First United Methodist Church of Lufkin, Texas. It is our hope and our prayer that this study touches the hearts of those who participate and helps spread the love and grace of Our Lord and God. All who want to learn more about God are welcome

My Photo
Name:
Location: lufkin, Texas, United States

I am a Christian family man, Lay Pastor and writer from Deep East Texas. I love life, and I enjoy working with young people. I have published two books; "A Small Mind Among Tall Trees" and "God If You Are Not Too Busy, Can You Give Me a Hand". If you want to obtain a copy drop me an e-mail or go to amazon.com or barnesand noble.com . I have been a salesman, cowman and athlete in my past. I still have a strong sense of humor and am not afraid to use it.

Monday, December 04, 2006

Jonah 3:1-5

Relax, Read and Reflect.
Prayer- Lord, Open my heart and open my mind and help me learn. Go-Fight-Win. Amen.
1 Then the word of the LORD came to Jonah a second time: 2 "Go to the great city of Nineveh and proclaim to it the message I give you."
3 Jonah obeyed the word of the LORD and went to Nineveh. Now Nineveh was a very important city—a visit required three days. 4 On the first day, Jonah started into the city. He proclaimed: "Forty more days and Nineveh will be overturned." 5 The Ninevites believed God. They declared a fast, and all of them, from the greatest to the least, put on sackcloth.

Jonah gets a second chance. He preaches only what God tells him- that Nineveh is doomed. Funny thing happens, as Jonah starts to preach in the suburbs word travels through out the city. And, just as Jonah feared, the Ninevites repented. They put on their mourning (not morning) clothes and believed God.
This was the most powerful city in the world, and they were on top of their game., When they heard Jonah, they believed. These were pagans, but they accepted God’s word easier than the Jews (God’s People.) This was very frustrating to Jonah.
We consider ourselves to be the great Christian country. Would we believe what Jonah was preaching? Do we listen to God? Or is it easier for God to speak to a Godless country who is our enemy? Jonah was a prophet, but does he believe in what he says?
Prayer- Lord, Open our hearts so that we can feel you. Open our ears so we can hear you and guide us to do your work. Go-Fight-Win. Amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home