Alumni Bible Study

A Bible study initially set up for alumni of the Senior Sunday School Class at the First United Methodist Church of Lufkin, Texas. It is our hope and our prayer that this study touches the hearts of those who participate and helps spread the love and grace of Our Lord and God. All who want to learn more about God are welcome

My Photo
Name:
Location: lufkin, Texas, United States

I am a Christian family man, Lay Pastor and writer from Deep East Texas. I love life, and I enjoy working with young people. I have published two books; "A Small Mind Among Tall Trees" and "God If You Are Not Too Busy, Can You Give Me a Hand". If you want to obtain a copy drop me an e-mail or go to amazon.com or barnesand noble.com . I have been a salesman, cowman and athlete in my past. I still have a strong sense of humor and am not afraid to use it.

Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Ephesians 4:7-13

Relax, Read and Reflect (3R’s)
Prayer- Lord, open my heart and open my mind and help me to learn. G-F-W. Amen.

Ephesians 4:7-13 (New International Version)
7But to each one of us grace has been given as Christ apportioned it. 8This is why it
says: "When he ascended on high, he led captives in his train and gave gifts to men." 9(What does "he ascended" mean except that he also descended to the lower, earthly regions? 10He who descended is the very one who ascended higher than all the heavens, in order to fill the whole universe.) 11It was he who gave some to be apostles, some to be prophets, some to be evangelists, and some to be pastors and teachers, 12to prepare God's people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up 13until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ.
What is Paul saying here? In the original Apostles Creed it says that Christ descended into hell and then went to heaven. There are several thoughts on this belief. The one I like the most, (and write this,) is that Christ went to the lower regions, defeated Satan, sin, and evil, and then triumphantly ascended to Heaven. Paul says he led captives in his train and gave gifts to men. This is what a conquering hero would do.
Paul then goes back to the gifts we all have and how we need to become one to glorify God. He also beckons the Church to become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ. He wants all of us to go ahead and accept the gifts God gives us so that we can be faithful and effective. If you have got this far, you are more than curious about what God has planned for you. The time to ask God to give you the gifts so you can be "all that you can be" is NOW!
Lent Starts tomorrow, this is a time of preparation. It is a time for us to get ready to celebrate Christ’s victory over death. It may be time for us to become more intentional about our Christian life.
Prayer-Dear Lord, Help me prepare for your Son. I want to be with you, work for you, and I want you to be in me. Consider this a covenant for me to be loyal during this season of Lent, and for me to become a better follower. I need you for strength, patience, and wisdom. Go-Fight-Win. Amen.
Things to do: Read Ephesians 4:14-16
Fellowship with other believers and prepare for Lent. Find out if there are Lenten services Wednesday that you might be able to attend.

2 Comments:

Blogger Steve Killam TMTL said...

Come on, surely someone has a comment.

9:48 PM  
Blogger Steve Killam TMTL said...

Well.. It is so peacefull at that hour. there is no one around to bother me. I am dedicated. The tag clock is set on pacific time.

5:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home