Alumni Bible Study

A Bible study initially set up for alumni of the Senior Sunday School Class at the First United Methodist Church of Lufkin, Texas. It is our hope and our prayer that this study touches the hearts of those who participate and helps spread the love and grace of Our Lord and God. All who want to learn more about God are welcome

My Photo
Name:
Location: lufkin, Texas, United States

I am a Christian family man, Lay Pastor and writer from Deep East Texas. I love life, and I enjoy working with young people. I have published two books; "A Small Mind Among Tall Trees" and "God If You Are Not Too Busy, Can You Give Me a Hand". If you want to obtain a copy drop me an e-mail or go to amazon.com or barnesand noble.com . I have been a salesman, cowman and athlete in my past. I still have a strong sense of humor and am not afraid to use it.

Saturday, March 18, 2006

Genesis 1:1-8 The Beginning

3R’s
Prayer-Lord, Open my heart and open my mind and help me learn. G-F-W. Amen.
The Beginning
1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.
2 Now the earth was [
a] formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.
3 And God said, "Let there be light," and there was light. 4 God saw that the light was good, and He separated the light from the darkness. 5 God called the light "day," and the darkness he called "night." And there was evening, and there was morning—the first day.
6 And God said, "Let there be an expanse between the waters to separate water from water." 7 So God made the expanse and separated the water under the expanse from the water above it. And it was so. 8 God called the expanse "sky." And there was evening, and there was morning—the second day.
Let’s look at the first five words, for they are some of the most important of the Bible. "In the beginning, God created..." This says the one thing that we base our beliefs on, God creates. More importantly, God is creating still. Without God, the universe is formless and empty, and it is a very big place. God brings order out od chaos, and brings life to a barren world.
When we read this in elementary Sunday school, we probably never considered how important this is to our beliefs. We just thought how could God do all of this in only a week, it takes us that long to plant a garden, and a small one at that. The most important thing is not how long it took God, but how he did it.
I do not know if God created the earth in six twenty four hour days. When I get to heaven I will ask him. I do know that he created life, and only God can breath life into inanimate objects. I believe strongly in evolution, but I am still in awe of how awesome God is. Sometimes my scientific background helps me see how wonderful this world is, and how mighty our God is. God gave us light, separated water from earth, and created a protective atmosphere, just so we can live. God must love all of us very much to do all of that.
Prayer- Dear Lord, Thank you for all you have created, and for all you are still creating. Help me do all that I can to help and understand what you have me do. Go-Fight-Win. Amen.
Things to do today-Read Genesis 1:9-19. Relax, and take in the wonder and beauty of God’s creations.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home