Alumni Bible Study

A Bible study initially set up for alumni of the Senior Sunday School Class at the First United Methodist Church of Lufkin, Texas. It is our hope and our prayer that this study touches the hearts of those who participate and helps spread the love and grace of Our Lord and God. All who want to learn more about God are welcome

My Photo
Name:
Location: lufkin, Texas, United States

I am a Christian family man, Lay Pastor and writer from Deep East Texas. I love life, and I enjoy working with young people. I have published two books; "A Small Mind Among Tall Trees" and "God If You Are Not Too Busy, Can You Give Me a Hand". If you want to obtain a copy drop me an e-mail or go to amazon.com or barnesand noble.com . I have been a salesman, cowman and athlete in my past. I still have a strong sense of humor and am not afraid to use it.

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Genesis 15:1-11

3R’s
Prayer-Lord, Open my heart and open my mind and help me learn. G-F-W. Amen.
God's Covenant With Abram
1 After this, the word of the LORD came to Abram in a vision: "Do not be afraid, Abram. I am your shield, [
a] your very great reward. [b] "

2 But Abram said, "O Sovereign LORD, what can you give me since I remain childless and the one who will inherit [
c] my estate is Eliezer of Damascus?" 3 And Abram said, "You have given me no children; so a servant in my household will be my heir."
4 Then the word of the LORD came to him: "This man will not be your heir, but a son coming from your own body will be your heir." 5 He took him outside and said, "Look up at the heavens and count the stars—if indeed you can count them." Then he said to him, "So shall your offspring be."
6 Abram believed the LORD, and he credited it to him as righteousness.
7 He also said to him, "I am the LORD, who brought you out of Ur of the Chaldeans to give you this land to take possession of it."
8 But Abram said, "O Sovereign LORD, how can I know that I will gain possession of it?"
9 So the LORD said to him, "Bring me a heifer, a goat and a ram, each three years old, along with a dove and a young pigeon."
10 Abram brought all these to him, cut them in two and arranged the halves opposite each other; the birds, however, he did not cut in half. 11 Then birds of prey came down on the carcasses, but Abram drove them away.
God makes a deal with Abram. God wants to give Abram something very special. Abram already is well off, but has no heir. Anything else he gathers will be passed on to a servant. Was this why he was afraid?
God promises to protect Abram, and he promises something even greater. He told Abram to go look at the stars, and that how many offspring he would have. The amazing thing is Abram believed him. Abram had always displayed his faith in God. Not just what God could do, but the Lord itself.
Abram did not have to do outward things to prove he was in good with God, the actions of his heart proved it, and he was rewarded. Good deeds themselves are not what God looks for in a relationship with us. If we love the Lord and seek to have him live in us and through us, then good deeds will naturally happen. The relationship with God as the center is the important thing.
How is your relationship with God? Is he the center of your life? Are you ready to accept the covenant God wants to give you?
Prayer- Lord, give me the strength to put you first in my life, and prepare me for the great things you will give me. Go-Fight-Win. Amen.
Things to do today-Read Genesis 15:13-21 Make room for God in your heart, and get ready for great things.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home