Alumni Bible Study

A Bible study initially set up for alumni of the Senior Sunday School Class at the First United Methodist Church of Lufkin, Texas. It is our hope and our prayer that this study touches the hearts of those who participate and helps spread the love and grace of Our Lord and God. All who want to learn more about God are welcome

My Photo
Name:
Location: lufkin, Texas, United States

I am a Christian family man, Lay Pastor and writer from Deep East Texas. I love life, and I enjoy working with young people. I have published two books; "A Small Mind Among Tall Trees" and "God If You Are Not Too Busy, Can You Give Me a Hand". If you want to obtain a copy drop me an e-mail or go to amazon.com or barnesand noble.com . I have been a salesman, cowman and athlete in my past. I still have a strong sense of humor and am not afraid to use it.

Thursday, April 27, 2006

Genesis 15:12-21

3R’s
Prayer-Lord, Open my heart and open my mind and help me learn. G-F-W. Amen.
12 As the sun was setting, Abram fell into a deep sleep, and a thick and dreadful darkness came over him. 13 Then the LORD said to him, "Know for certain that your descendants will be strangers in a country not their own, and they will be enslaved and mistreated four hundred years. 14 But I will punish the nation they serve as slaves, and afterward they will come out with great possessions. 15 You, however, will go to your fathers in peace and be buried at a good old age. 16 In the fourth generation your descendants will come back here, for the sin of the Amorites has not yet reached its full measure."
17 When the sun had set and darkness had fallen, a smoking firepot with a blazing torch appeared and passed between the pieces. 18 On that day the LORD made a covenant with Abram and said, "To your descendants I give this land, from the river [
a] of Egypt to the great river, the Euphrates- 19 the land of the Kenites, Kenizzites, Kadmonites, 20 Hittites, Perizzites, Rephaites, 21 Amorites, Canaanites, Girgashites and Jebusites."
What a strange dream! I have some good news and some bad news, and then some good news. I will make your decedents a great nation, that’s good news. They will be enslaved, that’s bad news. They will come back to this land and the captures will be punished, good news again.
This is the covenant between Abram and God. God has told him that he will have heirs, as a matter of fact he will have so many that they will be like the stars of the sky.
Interesting bit in verse 16, who were the Amorites? They were one of the nations living in Canaan, the promised land of Abram. God was giving them time to repent before Abrams decedents took over their lands, but they would grow more wicked and need to be punished, just not yet. God is merciful, but he is all knowing, and his timing is perfect. When God tells us what he will do for us, do we take it as serious business? Or do we wait and hope he will give the responsibility to someone else? Remember, he is merciful, all knowing and has perfect timing.
Prayer- Lord, make with me a covenant to be your servant. Give me direction and the tools to help build your kingdom. Go-Fight-Win. Amen.
Things to do-Read Genesis 16:1-16

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home