Alumni Bible Study

A Bible study initially set up for alumni of the Senior Sunday School Class at the First United Methodist Church of Lufkin, Texas. It is our hope and our prayer that this study touches the hearts of those who participate and helps spread the love and grace of Our Lord and God. All who want to learn more about God are welcome

My Photo
Name:
Location: lufkin, Texas, United States

I am a Christian family man, Lay Pastor and writer from Deep East Texas. I love life, and I enjoy working with young people. I have published two books; "A Small Mind Among Tall Trees" and "God If You Are Not Too Busy, Can You Give Me a Hand". If you want to obtain a copy drop me an e-mail or go to amazon.com or barnesand noble.com . I have been a salesman, cowman and athlete in my past. I still have a strong sense of humor and am not afraid to use it.

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Genesis 21:1-7

Relax, Read and Reflect (3R’s)
Prayer- Lord, Open my heart and open my mind and help me learn. Go-Fight-Win. Amen.
The Birth of Isaac
1 Now the LORD was gracious to Sarah as he had said, and the LORD did for Sarah what he had promised. 2 Sarah became pregnant and bore a son to Abraham in his old age, at the very time God had promised him. 3 Abraham gave the name Isaac [
a] to the son Sarah bore him. 4 When his son Isaac was eight days old, Abraham circumcised him, as God commanded him. 5 Abraham was a hundred years old when his son Isaac was born to him.
6 Sarah said, "God has brought me laughter, and everyone who hears about this will laugh with me." 7 And she added, "Who would have said to Abraham that Sarah would nurse children? Yet I have borne him a son in his old age."
Abraham was one hundred years old when Isaac was born, and yet he even lived to see his son grow to manhood. Again, it is easy to get hung up on ages. To me, the big miracle and difficult thing to accept is Sarah conceiving and giving birth at her age, with rulers chasing after her the whole time. Sarah could not believe it either, she thought it was unbelievable, and it made her laugh. This disbelief got between her and God.
When you first read this section, one can think that Sarah’s surprise was a joyous thing. Read it again. She is mocking and doubting the power of God, and that created trouble. Instead of being joyful in the promise God gave to her, she let her doubts and fears get in the way. Do we do the same thing?
After God promised her a son, and then sent two angels to reinforce the promises, she still laughed at Isaac. How many times does God promise to be with us, and yet we let our worry get to us? We may have problems, but most are those that we refuse to turn over to God, and the longer we wrestle with them, the bigger they get.
Prayer- Lord, Help us remember that nothing is impossible for you. When miracles come, help us understand them and accept them. Go-Fight-Win. Amen.
Things to do today-Read Genesis 21:8-21

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home