Alumni Bible Study

A Bible study initially set up for alumni of the Senior Sunday School Class at the First United Methodist Church of Lufkin, Texas. It is our hope and our prayer that this study touches the hearts of those who participate and helps spread the love and grace of Our Lord and God. All who want to learn more about God are welcome

My Photo
Name:
Location: lufkin, Texas, United States

I am a Christian family man, Lay Pastor and writer from Deep East Texas. I love life, and I enjoy working with young people. I have published two books; "A Small Mind Among Tall Trees" and "God If You Are Not Too Busy, Can You Give Me a Hand". If you want to obtain a copy drop me an e-mail or go to amazon.com or barnesand noble.com . I have been a salesman, cowman and athlete in my past. I still have a strong sense of humor and am not afraid to use it.

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Genesis 19:14-26

3R’s
Prayer-Lord, Open my heart and open my mind and help me learn. Go-Fight-Win. Amen.
14 So Lot went out and spoke to his sons-in-law, who were pledged to marry [

] his daughters. He said, "Hurry and get out of this place, because the LORD is about to destroy the city!" But his sons-in-law thought he was joking.

15 With the coming of dawn, the angels urged Lot, saying, "Hurry! Take your wife and your two daughters who are here, or you will be swept away when the city is punished."
16 When he hesitated, the men grasped his hand and the hands of his wife and of his two daughters and led them safely out of the city, for the LORD was merciful to them. 17 As soon as they had brought them out, one of them said, "Flee for your lives! Don't look back, and don't stop anywhere in the plain! Flee to the mountains or you will be swept away!"
18 But Lot said to them, "No, my lords, [
b] please! 19 Your [c] servant has found favor in your [d] eyes, and you [e] have shown great kindness to me in sparing my life. But I can't flee to the mountains; this disaster will overtake me, and I'll die. 20 Look, here is a town near enough to run to, and it is small. Let me flee to it—it is very small, isn't it? Then my life will be spared."
21 He said to him, "Very well, I will grant this request too; I will not overthrow the town you speak of. 22 But flee there quickly, because I cannot do anything until you reach it." (That is why the town was called Zoar. [
f] )
23 By the time Lot reached Zoar, the sun had risen over the land. 24 Then the LORD rained down burning sulfur on Sodom and Gomorrah—from the LORD out of the heavens. 25 Thus he overthrew those cities and the entire plain, including all those living in the cities—and also the vegetation in the land. 26 But Lot's wife looked back, and she became a pillar of salt.
Lot wanted to save others, primarily his daughters fiances, but for some reason he could not convince them that Sodom was about to be torched. Lot was a godly man, his uncle Abraham’s favorite nephew, but he had lived with un-godly people for so long he was no longer a good witness to God.
The Angels brought him and his family to safety, but Lot’s wife could not let go. She looked back and was turned to a pillar of salt. It is easy to condemn her, but isn’t she like us? Shouldn’t we blame her husband, he knew what the deal was, and if he really loved her they would have gone far enough to remove her from temptation. We can’t do that. Like Lot, we are always close enough to sin to look back at it. We never get far enough from our lives to not be able to see where we came from. God tells us to leave our wicked ways behind us and never look back. When, or if, we do, we are drawn back away from God. Maybe becoming a pillar of salt is not a bad deal. (It is.)
Prayer- Dear Lord, help us leave the things that keep us from your love behind, and give us strength to never look back. Go-Fight-Win. Amen.
Things to do- Read genesis 19:27-38. Get ready for Springer time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home