Alumni Bible Study

A Bible study initially set up for alumni of the Senior Sunday School Class at the First United Methodist Church of Lufkin, Texas. It is our hope and our prayer that this study touches the hearts of those who participate and helps spread the love and grace of Our Lord and God. All who want to learn more about God are welcome

My Photo
Name:
Location: lufkin, Texas, United States

I am a Christian family man, Lay Pastor and writer from Deep East Texas. I love life, and I enjoy working with young people. I have published two books; "A Small Mind Among Tall Trees" and "God If You Are Not Too Busy, Can You Give Me a Hand". If you want to obtain a copy drop me an e-mail or go to amazon.com or barnesand noble.com . I have been a salesman, cowman and athlete in my past. I still have a strong sense of humor and am not afraid to use it.

Monday, May 08, 2006

Genesis 18:26-33

Relax, Read and Reflect (3R’s)
Prayer-Lord, Open my heart and open my mind and help me learn. Go-Fight-Win. Amen.
26 The LORD said, "If I find fifty righteous people in the city of Sodom, I will spare the whole place for their sake."
27 Then Abraham spoke up again: "Now that I have been so bold as to speak to the Lord, though I am nothing but dust and ashes, 28 what if the number of the righteous is five less than fifty? Will you destroy the whole city because of five people?" "If I find forty-five there," he said, "I will not destroy it."
29 Once again he spoke to him, "What if only forty are found there?" He said, "For the sake of forty, I will not do it."
30 Then he said, "May the Lord not be angry, but let me speak. What if only thirty can be found there?" He answered, "I will not do it if I find thirty there."
31 Abraham said, "Now that I have been so bold as to speak to the Lord, what if only twenty can be found there?" He said, "For the sake of twenty, I will not destroy it."
32 Then he said, "May the Lord not be angry, but let me speak just once more. What if only ten can be found there?" He answered, "For the sake of ten, I will not destroy it."
33 When the LORD had finished speaking with Abraham, he left, and Abraham returned home.
Abraham is still bargaining with God, and he thinks he is a good negotiator. We takes the "poor boy" approach, trying to butter God up as he gets God to lower the amount of righteous people necessary to spare Sodom.
It is important to realize one thing here, it is OK to ask the Lord for anything. We can pray and ask God for anything, nothing is to weird to ask God’s help. The answers will come from God and his judgement and wisdom. We may not be ready for his answers. He knows the whole story and we don’t. Sometimes we miss God’s answers because we haven’t looked at all possible answers, just the ones we want to hear.
Abraham negotiated God down to ten people, but God knew that even that few could not be found. All of Abrahams prayers were to be in vain, and God knew that before they even started.
Prayer- Lord, thanks for listening to all of our wishes, even those that are not what you have for us. Give us the wisdom to understand. Go-Fight-Win. Amen.
Things to do-Read Genesis 19:1-13

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home