Alumni Bible Study

A Bible study initially set up for alumni of the Senior Sunday School Class at the First United Methodist Church of Lufkin, Texas. It is our hope and our prayer that this study touches the hearts of those who participate and helps spread the love and grace of Our Lord and God. All who want to learn more about God are welcome

My Photo
Name:
Location: lufkin, Texas, United States

I am a Christian family man, Lay Pastor and writer from Deep East Texas. I love life, and I enjoy working with young people. I have published two books; "A Small Mind Among Tall Trees" and "God If You Are Not Too Busy, Can You Give Me a Hand". If you want to obtain a copy drop me an e-mail or go to amazon.com or barnesand noble.com . I have been a salesman, cowman and athlete in my past. I still have a strong sense of humor and am not afraid to use it.

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Genesis 17:15-27

3R’s
Prayer-Lord, Open my heart and open my mind and help me learn. G-F-W. Amen.
15 God also said to Abraham, "As for Sarai your wife, you are no longer to call her Sarai; her name will be Sarah. 16 I will bless her and will surely give you a son by her. I will bless her so that she will be the mother of nations; kings of peoples will come from her."
17 Abraham fell facedown; he laughed and said to himself, "Will a son be born to a man a hundred years old? Will Sarah bear a child at the age of ninety?" 18 And Abraham said to God, "If only Ishmael might live under your blessing!"
19 Then God said, "Yes, but your wife Sarah will bear you a son, and you will call him Isaac. [
a] I will establish my covenant with him as an everlasting covenant for his descendants after him. 20 And as for Ishmael, I have heard you: I will surely bless him; I will make him fruitful and will greatly increase his numbers. He will be the father of twelve rulers, and I will make him into a great nation. 21 But my covenant I will establish with Isaac, whom Sarah will bear to you by this time next year." 22 When he had finished speaking with Abraham, God went up from him.
23 On that very day Abraham took his son Ishmael and all those born in his household or bought with his money, every male in his household, and circumcised them, as God told him. 24 Abraham was ninety-nine years old when he was circumcised, 25 and his son Ishmael was thirteen; 26 Abraham and his son Ishmael were both circumcised on that same day. 27 And every male in Abraham's household, including those born in his household or bought from a foreigner, was circumcised with him.
The name changes continue, Sarai was changed to Sarah. Why did God change their names? They were no longer the people they had been, they were "born again" and were different from their old self. Should we change our name after we enter into covenant with God? Only if you plan to have kids into your nineties, if not, keep your name.
After God told Abraham that Sarah would be the mother of the great nation, what did he do? He fell over laughing, literally. One would think that if any man could believe God could do miracles, it would be Abraham. Even though he had doubts, he followed God’s commands and had the males of his house circumcised, just as God ordered.
What about Ishmael? Even though he was not to be Abraham's heir, God promised that he would be the father of a great nation. God did not forget him, and he has not forgotten about you. You may not see what God has in store for you, but obey him and trust that he has plans for you.
Prayer-Lord, I am here. I will wait patiently for whatever you have planned for me. Go-Fight-Win. Amen.
Things to do today-Read Genesis 18:1-19. Prepare to learn about Sodom and Gomorrah.

1 Comments:

Blogger Steve Killam TMTL said...

Good question Chad. Hair cuts are not forever, circumcision is,(could be a new ad campain.) Hygene may have played a part, the food rules kept the jewish diet more healthy. An interesting but groce sidebar. It did make it easier for hebrew warrior to collect proof of enimies killed. After battle, they would "circumcise" the dead enemies and collect the foreskins. This was much more convinent than cutting off heads, plus they knew if a body was Hebrew or Gentile.

7:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home