Alumni Bible Study

A Bible study initially set up for alumni of the Senior Sunday School Class at the First United Methodist Church of Lufkin, Texas. It is our hope and our prayer that this study touches the hearts of those who participate and helps spread the love and grace of Our Lord and God. All who want to learn more about God are welcome

My Photo
Name:
Location: lufkin, Texas, United States

I am a Christian family man, Lay Pastor and writer from Deep East Texas. I love life, and I enjoy working with young people. I have published two books; "A Small Mind Among Tall Trees" and "God If You Are Not Too Busy, Can You Give Me a Hand". If you want to obtain a copy drop me an e-mail or go to amazon.com or barnesand noble.com . I have been a salesman, cowman and athlete in my past. I still have a strong sense of humor and am not afraid to use it.

Friday, May 12, 2006

Genesis 20:1-7

Relax, Read and Reflect
Prayer-Lord, Open my heart and open my mind and help me learn. Go-Fight-Win. Amen.
1 Now Abraham moved on from there into the region of the Negev and lived between Kadesh and Shur. For a while he stayed in Gerar, 2 and there Abraham said of his wife Sarah, "She is my sister." Then Abimelech king of Gerar sent for Sarah and took her.
3 But God came to Abimelech in a dream one night and said to him, "You are as good as dead because of the woman you have taken; she is a married woman."
4 Now Abimelech had not gone near her, so he said, "Lord, will you destroy an innocent nation? 5 Did he not say to me, 'She is my sister,' and didn't she also say, 'He is my brother'? I have done this with a clear conscience and clean hands."
6 Then God said to him in the dream, "Yes, I know you did this with a clear conscience, and so I have kept you from sinning against me. That is why I did not let you touch her. 7 Now return the man's wife, for he is a prophet, and he will pray for you and you will live. But if you do not return her, you may be sure that you and all yours will die."
Same song, second verse. Abraham had said Sarah was his sister before in Egypt, and the Pharaoh paid dearly for taking her. Sometimes, even great men of faith are slow to learn. Abraham moves and again passes Sarah off as a sister, and again she is picked up by a king. Even though Abraham knew God was with him, again he feared for his life and became weak. God was watching out for Abraham and stepped in to rescue his wife.
God went to Abimelech and threatened him. Abimelech pleaded ignorance, Abraham told him Sarah was a sister. God held him back from committing adultery, prevented him from sinning even though he the king did not know he was about to sin. I wonder how many times God has done the same for us? Sarah must have been really beautiful, she was pushing 100 and still had kings wanting her. She must have been something.
Prayer- Lord, Thank you for protecting us even when we do not know we are in danger. Please have patience with us, because we do not always learn from our mistakes. Go-Fight-Win. Amen.
Things to do today- Read Genesis 20:8-17

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home