Alumni Bible Study

A Bible study initially set up for alumni of the Senior Sunday School Class at the First United Methodist Church of Lufkin, Texas. It is our hope and our prayer that this study touches the hearts of those who participate and helps spread the love and grace of Our Lord and God. All who want to learn more about God are welcome

My Photo
Name:
Location: lufkin, Texas, United States

I am a Christian family man, Lay Pastor and writer from Deep East Texas. I love life, and I enjoy working with young people. I have published two books; "A Small Mind Among Tall Trees" and "God If You Are Not Too Busy, Can You Give Me a Hand". If you want to obtain a copy drop me an e-mail or go to amazon.com or barnesand noble.com . I have been a salesman, cowman and athlete in my past. I still have a strong sense of humor and am not afraid to use it.

Thursday, May 18, 2006

Genesis 21:22-34

Relax, Read and Reflect
Prayer-Lord, Open my heart and open my mind and help me learn. Go-Fight-Win. Amen.
The Treaty at Beersheba
22 At that time Abimelech and Phicol the commander of his forces said to Abraham, "God is with you in everything you do. 23 Now swear to me here before God that you will not deal falsely with me or my children or my descendants. Show to me and the country where you are living as an alien the same kindness I have shown to you."
24 Abraham said, "I swear it."
25 Then Abraham complained to Abimelech about a well of water that Abimelech's servants had seized. 26 But Abimelech said, "I don't know who has done this. You did not tell me, and I heard about it only today."
27 So Abraham brought sheep and cattle and gave them to Abimelech, and the two men made a treaty. 28 Abraham set apart seven ewe lambs from the flock, 29 and Abimelech asked Abraham, "What is the meaning of these seven ewe lambs you have set apart by themselves?"
30 He replied, "Accept these seven lambs from my hand as a witness that I dug this well."
31 So that place was called Beersheba, [
a] because the two men swore an oath there.
32 After the treaty had been made at Beersheba, Abimelech and Phicol the commander of his forces returned to the land of the Philistines. 33 Abraham planted a tamarisk tree in Beersheba, and there he called upon the name of the LORD, the Eternal God. 34 And Abraham stayed in the land of the Philistines for a long time.
Ablimelech was a great King that we read about in the last chapter, right before the birth of Isaac. He was impressed with Abraham and could tell he had a connection with God, so he was ready to make a treaty with him. Abraham was just as eager, but had a beef with some of the king’s men. It seemed they and Abrahams shepards had a fight over a well. In the desert, a well was very important. The two men made a treaty, and Beersheba became the southern boundary of the promised land.
What does this mean to us? People can tell when you walk with God, and it makes them either want to be your friend or your enemy. If they want to be your friend, show them friendship and God’s love. Help them see what God has done for you and tell them He can do the same for them. If they are scared of God, and fear what you might do to their lifestyle, people may be mean to you. Remember, they are scared of God and do not understand what God has for them. Do not let people scare you off course. As long as you are with God, you are on the right track.
Prayer- Lord, help others see how great you are through me. Guide me and comfort me, that I might help in your works. Go-Fight-Win. Amen.
Things to do today- Read Genesis 22:1-8

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home