Alumni Bible Study

A Bible study initially set up for alumni of the Senior Sunday School Class at the First United Methodist Church of Lufkin, Texas. It is our hope and our prayer that this study touches the hearts of those who participate and helps spread the love and grace of Our Lord and God. All who want to learn more about God are welcome

My Photo
Name:
Location: lufkin, Texas, United States

I am a Christian family man, Lay Pastor and writer from Deep East Texas. I love life, and I enjoy working with young people. I have published two books; "A Small Mind Among Tall Trees" and "God If You Are Not Too Busy, Can You Give Me a Hand". If you want to obtain a copy drop me an e-mail or go to amazon.com or barnesand noble.com . I have been a salesman, cowman and athlete in my past. I still have a strong sense of humor and am not afraid to use it.

Monday, May 22, 2006

Genesis 22:9-14

Relax, Read and Reflect
Prayer-Lord, Open my heart and open my mind and help me learn. Go-Fight-Win. Amen.
9 When they reached the place God had told him about, Abraham built an altar there and arranged the wood on it. He bound his son Isaac and laid him on the altar, on top of the wood. 10 Then he reached out his hand and took the knife to slay his son. 11 But the angel of the LORD called out to him from heaven, "Abraham! Abraham!" "Here I am," he replied.
12 "Do not lay a hand on the boy," he said. "Do not do anything to him. Now I know that you fear God, because you have not withheld from me your son, your only son."
13 Abraham looked up and there in a thicket he saw a ram [
a] caught by its horns. He went over and took the ram and sacrificed it as a burnt offering instead of his son. 14 So Abraham called that place The LORD Will Provide. And to this day it is said, "On the mountain of the LORD it will be provided."
God tested Abraham. We will hopefully never be put to the test that Abraham faced. But he had faith. It is very difficult for us to let go of things and surrender them to God. Surrendering a child is impossible. A son, especially after you sent away your other son, would be unheard of. Abraham had faith, and he understood that God had provided. Again, God provided, with the ram to take Isaac’s place.
As a parent, I have a difficult time turning my sons over to God. I want to control and protect them. I know that God can protect them far better than I, but it is so difficult to make that leap on faith. God sacrificed his Son. Jesus died for all of us, and God did not substitute a ram for him. I understand that this was not easy, I can empathize. God is far greater than any of us. We should never forget what he did for us!
Prayer- Lord, take all I have and use it for your glory, but shower me with gifts so that I may give them to the world, just as you gave your son. Go-Fight-Win. Amen.
Things to do today Read Genesis 22:15-24

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home