Alumni Bible Study

A Bible study initially set up for alumni of the Senior Sunday School Class at the First United Methodist Church of Lufkin, Texas. It is our hope and our prayer that this study touches the hearts of those who participate and helps spread the love and grace of Our Lord and God. All who want to learn more about God are welcome

My Photo
Name:
Location: lufkin, Texas, United States

I am a Christian family man, Lay Pastor and writer from Deep East Texas. I love life, and I enjoy working with young people. I have published two books; "A Small Mind Among Tall Trees" and "God If You Are Not Too Busy, Can You Give Me a Hand". If you want to obtain a copy drop me an e-mail or go to amazon.com or barnesand noble.com . I have been a salesman, cowman and athlete in my past. I still have a strong sense of humor and am not afraid to use it.

Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Genesis 22:15-24

Relax, Read and Reflect
Prayer-Lord, Open my heart and open my mind and help me learn. Go-fight-Win. Amen.
15 The angel of the LORD called to Abraham from heaven a second time 16 and said, "I swear by myself, declares the LORD, that because you have done this and have not withheld your son, your only son, 17 I will surely bless you and make your descendants as numerous as the stars in the sky and as the sand on the seashore. Your descendants will take possession of the cities of their enemies, 18 and through your offspring [

] all nations on earth will be blessed, because you have obeyed me."
19 Then Abraham returned to his servants, and they set off together for Beersheba. And Abraham stayed in Beersheba.
Nahor's Sons
20 Some time later Abraham was told, "Milcah is also a mother; she has borne sons to your brother Nahor: 21 Uz the firstborn, Buz his brother, Kemuel (the father of Aram), 22 Kesed, Hazo, Pildash, Jidlaph and Bethuel." 23 Bethuel became the father of Rebekah. Milcah bore these eight sons to Abraham's brother Nahor. 24 His concubine, whose name was Reumah, also had sons: Tebah, Gaham, Tahash and Maacah.
Abraham did well. Because he did well he was blessed. Since he did not hold back in giving, he received in abundance. That is the way God works. When he blesses us, the blessings overflow and touch many people. People may give us gifts that we enjoy, but no one can give blessings like God, just look at Abraham. He is the father of the Hebrews, the Moslems, and even the Christians. His faith has indeed shaped the world.
I am troubled a bit by the passage. The Angel says that Abraham was willing to give of his only son. Hello! Poor Ishmael is still alive! Yes, but not to the hHebrew writers of the old testament. Another interesting bit are the names of Nohors sons. If you want to name your son Buz, tell your wife that it is biblical. Ben and Grider were lucky that I did not read this passage twelve years ago.
Prayer-Lord, Thank you for all the blessings that yopu heap upon us, even though we do not deserve them. Go-Fight-Win. Amen.
Things to do-Read Genesis chapter 23.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home