Alumni Bible Study

A Bible study initially set up for alumni of the Senior Sunday School Class at the First United Methodist Church of Lufkin, Texas. It is our hope and our prayer that this study touches the hearts of those who participate and helps spread the love and grace of Our Lord and God. All who want to learn more about God are welcome

My Photo
Name:
Location: lufkin, Texas, United States

I am a Christian family man, Lay Pastor and writer from Deep East Texas. I love life, and I enjoy working with young people. I have published two books; "A Small Mind Among Tall Trees" and "God If You Are Not Too Busy, Can You Give Me a Hand". If you want to obtain a copy drop me an e-mail or go to amazon.com or barnesand noble.com . I have been a salesman, cowman and athlete in my past. I still have a strong sense of humor and am not afraid to use it.

Thursday, May 25, 2006

Genesis 24:1-9

Relax, Read and Reflect
Prayer-Lord, Open my heart and open my mind and help me learn. Go-Fight-Win. Amen.
Isaac and Rebekah
1 Abraham was now old and well advanced in years, and the LORD had blessed him in every way. 2 He said to the chief [
a] servant in his household, the one in charge of all that he had, "Put your hand under my thigh. 3 I want you to swear by the LORD, the God of heaven and the God of earth, that you will not get a wife for my son from the daughters of the Canaanites, among whom I am living, 4 but will go to my country and my own relatives and get a wife for my son Isaac."
5 The servant asked him, "What if the woman is unwilling to come back with me to this land? Shall I then take your son back to the country you came from?"
6 "Make sure that you do not take my son back there," Abraham said. 7 "The LORD, the God of heaven, who brought me out of my father's household and my native land and who spoke to me and promised me on oath, saying, 'To your offspring [
b] I will give this land'-he will send his angel before you so that you can get a wife for my son from there. 8 If the woman is unwilling to come back with you, then you will be released from this oath of mine. Only do not take my son back there." 9 So the servant put his hand under the thigh of his master Abraham and swore an oath to him concerning this matter.
Abraham wanted Isaac to marry into his own people. This confuses me a little, Abraham was the patriarch of the Hebrew people, so why did it matter if Isaac married a girl from Abrahams home land?
I have two reasons. The first is that Abraham did not want his son to blend in totally with the locals. He was to be different, and eventually their descendants would conquer the land of Canaan. Also, I believe that God was involved. There was a particular girl for Isaac, one that God had already selected. Even if Abraham was too feeble to go get her himself, God must have told Abraham,(and possibly his servant,) where to find her.
Does this mean God has selected a mate for us? I would not doubt it, but I do not know for sure. I do know that God puts us where we are, and once we are there nature can take it’s course. One other note; Placing a hand under a thigh was the custom in Abraham’s time to swear an oath. Today we would shake hands, or use a notary.
Prayer- God, we know that you want the best for us and you have already done marvelous things in our live to make us happy. Help us follow your plan for us. Go-Fight-Win. Amen.
Things to do today- Read Genesis 24:10-27

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home