Alumni Bible Study

A Bible study initially set up for alumni of the Senior Sunday School Class at the First United Methodist Church of Lufkin, Texas. It is our hope and our prayer that this study touches the hearts of those who participate and helps spread the love and grace of Our Lord and God. All who want to learn more about God are welcome

My Photo
Name:
Location: lufkin, Texas, United States

I am a Christian family man, Lay Pastor and writer from Deep East Texas. I love life, and I enjoy working with young people. I have published two books; "A Small Mind Among Tall Trees" and "God If You Are Not Too Busy, Can You Give Me a Hand". If you want to obtain a copy drop me an e-mail or go to amazon.com or barnesand noble.com . I have been a salesman, cowman and athlete in my past. I still have a strong sense of humor and am not afraid to use it.

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Galatians 1:11-24

Relax, Read and Reflect
Prayer- Lord, Open my mind and open my heart and help me learn. Go-Fight-Win. Amen.
Paul Called by God
11I want you to know, brothers, that the gospel I preached is not something that man made up. 12I did not receive it from any man, nor was I taught it; rather, I received it by revelation from Jesus Christ.
13For you have heard of my previous way of life in Judaism, how intensely I persecuted the church of God and tried to destroy it. 14I was advancing in Judaism beyond many Jews of my own age and was extremely zealous for the traditions of my fathers. 15But when God, who set me apart from birth[
a] and called me by his grace, was pleased 16to reveal his Son in me so that I might preach him among the Gentiles, I did not consult any man, 17nor did I go up to Jerusalem to see those who were apostles before I was, but I went immediately into Arabia and later returned to Damascus.
18Then after three years, I went up to Jerusalem to get acquainted with Peter[
b] and stayed with him fifteen days. 19I saw none of the other apostles—only James, the Lord's brother. 20I assure you before God that what I am writing you is no lie. 21Later I went to Syria and Cilicia. 22I was personally unknown to the churches of Judea that are in Christ. 23They only heard the report: "The man who formerly persecuted us is now preaching the faith he once tried to destroy." 24And they praised God because of me.
Paul’s credentials. Why is this important? Paul wanted to show why the people in Galatia should listen to him instead of the Judaizers. Although he had been a Jew at the head of the class, he had a special conversion experience. He had been taught by other apostles and confirmed into ministry by them. His message was received directly from Jesus.
Do we as a church still need to know the credentials of our leaders? Of course. Not to see what lofty institution they have studied at, but to see where they are preaching from. Are the teaching from what they may have heard a preacher say he heard from an evangelist who read it in an article from a magazine? Or is it from God? Do others in the theological world accept what is being said. Why or why not? These are questions we all must ask.
When we ask these questions, we are not questioning God, we are extending the opportunity for God’s word to be verified. Christ’s message is given to us daily by other people, both by word and deed. Shouldn’t we as wise and committed Christians seek where it is rooted? Conversely, we as followers of Christ spreading the gospel need to build our own credentials. Why should non-believers listen to you? What is your foundation?
Prayer- Lord, help me build a strong foundation to help spread Your word. Give me the wisdom to learn, and the strength to build a greater knowledge of You. Go- Fight-Win. Amen.
Things to do-It has been a while since we had homework. What are your credentials? What can you do to strengthen them?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home