Alumni Bible Study

A Bible study initially set up for alumni of the Senior Sunday School Class at the First United Methodist Church of Lufkin, Texas. It is our hope and our prayer that this study touches the hearts of those who participate and helps spread the love and grace of Our Lord and God. All who want to learn more about God are welcome

My Photo
Name:
Location: lufkin, Texas, United States

I am a Christian family man, Lay Pastor and writer from Deep East Texas. I love life, and I enjoy working with young people. I have published two books; "A Small Mind Among Tall Trees" and "God If You Are Not Too Busy, Can You Give Me a Hand". If you want to obtain a copy drop me an e-mail or go to amazon.com or barnesand noble.com . I have been a salesman, cowman and athlete in my past. I still have a strong sense of humor and am not afraid to use it.

Monday, October 09, 2006

Galatians 1:6-10

Relax, Read and Reflect
Prayer- Lord, Open my heart and open my mind and help me learn. Go-Fight-Win. Amen.
No Other Gospel
6I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you by the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— 7which is really no gospel at all. Evidently some people are throwing you into confusion and are trying to pervert the gospel of Christ. 8But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let him be eternally condemned! 9As we have already said, so now I say again: If anybody is preaching to you a gospel other than what you accepted, let him be eternally condemned!
10Am I now trying to win the approval of men, or of God? Or am I trying to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a servant of Christ.
A group of Jewish converts to Christianity had followed Paul into the area of Galatia spreading teaching that in order to be saved people had to become Jewish and then accept Christ. To Paul, this was confusing the people of the area, (almost all of whom were Greek Gentiles,) and perverting the real message of the gospel. These were called the Judaizers, and they were causing problems in the churches Paul had set up.
Paul was a Jew, and a good one. He also knew that perverting the gospel was a big problem, and that Christ had come for ALL peoples. He also knew that twisting the truth is harder to recognize than an outright lie. This is why he is so adamant about keeping the gospel pure. He states that if anyone preaches a gospel different than the true gospel of Christ, even if it is an Angel, he and the message will be eternally condemned. After all, he reasons, a true Angel would not preach against Christ.
Satan can and will try to manipulate the truth to makes us stumble. Sometimes I really get nervous when we put rules in place in our religions that are not pure gospel. Organization is good, but is it for spreading the truth, or to exclude people from God? Beware, I believe this may be one of the most difficult things we have to face as a church. I am not telling you to turn away from organized religion, far from it. Be bold and protect God’s Church from traditions and rules which are not the teaching of Christ. This is our goal.
Prayer- Lord, give me the wisdom to know the truth. Strengthen me and help me always preach the true gospel, by both word and action. Go-Fight-Win. Amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home