Alumni Bible Study

A Bible study initially set up for alumni of the Senior Sunday School Class at the First United Methodist Church of Lufkin, Texas. It is our hope and our prayer that this study touches the hearts of those who participate and helps spread the love and grace of Our Lord and God. All who want to learn more about God are welcome

My Photo
Name:
Location: lufkin, Texas, United States

I am a Christian family man, Lay Pastor and writer from Deep East Texas. I love life, and I enjoy working with young people. I have published two books; "A Small Mind Among Tall Trees" and "God If You Are Not Too Busy, Can You Give Me a Hand". If you want to obtain a copy drop me an e-mail or go to amazon.com or barnesand noble.com . I have been a salesman, cowman and athlete in my past. I still have a strong sense of humor and am not afraid to use it.

Thursday, October 19, 2006

Galatians 3:10-14

Relax, Read and Reflect
Prayer- Lord, Please open my heart and open my mind and help me learn. Go-Fight- Win. Amen.
10All who rely on observing the law are under a curse, for it is written: "Cursed is everyone who does not continue to do everything written in the Book of the Law."[

] 11Clearly no one is justified before God by the law, because, "The righteous will live by faith."[b] 12The law is not based on faith; on the contrary, "The man who does these things will live by them."[c] 13Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us, for it is written: "Cursed is everyone who is hung on a tree."[d] 14He redeemed us in order that the blessing given to Abraham might come to the Gentiles through Christ Jesus, so that by faith we might receive the promise of the Spirit.
Footnotes:
Galatians 3:10 Deut. 27:26
Galatians 3:11 Hab. 2:4
Galatians 3:12 Lev. 18:5
Galatians 3:13 Deut. 21:23

Paul is not trying to dis-prove the Bible here, but Paul knows the scripture of the Hebrew Bible, (old testament.) By quoting Deuteronomy 27:26, Paul was trying to prove that no one can be saved by the law, only condemned. According to this verse, we are all cursed because we can not do everything written in the Book of the Law. Have you ever read Deuteronomy? Unless you plan on enslaving your alien neighbor, you are cursed.
We are all condemned by the law, but there is very good news. Because of God’s great love and grace we are redeemed by the blood of Jesus. Following the law has little to do with it, having Christ in our lives and in our hearts has everything to do with it. Paul knew this. He also knew the Judaizers did not have a clue, and that their teaching would harm the church not help. Have we, as a church and followers of Christ know this? Are we spending our time and energy spreading the Good News, or are we consumed with setting laws and rules for us to follow?


Prayer- Lord, Father, help me remember that I am saved through You! Not by anything I or other humans do. Give me the strength to do your work, and the wisdom to see what it is. Go-Fight- Win. Amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home