Alumni Bible Study

A Bible study initially set up for alumni of the Senior Sunday School Class at the First United Methodist Church of Lufkin, Texas. It is our hope and our prayer that this study touches the hearts of those who participate and helps spread the love and grace of Our Lord and God. All who want to learn more about God are welcome

My Photo
Name:
Location: lufkin, Texas, United States

I am a Christian family man, Lay Pastor and writer from Deep East Texas. I love life, and I enjoy working with young people. I have published two books; "A Small Mind Among Tall Trees" and "God If You Are Not Too Busy, Can You Give Me a Hand". If you want to obtain a copy drop me an e-mail or go to amazon.com or barnesand noble.com . I have been a salesman, cowman and athlete in my past. I still have a strong sense of humor and am not afraid to use it.

Monday, December 11, 2006

1 Timothy 1:1-2

Relax, Read and Reflect
Prayer- Lord, Open our hearts and open our minds and help us learn. Go-Fight-Win. Amen.
1 Timothy
1Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the command of God our Savior and of Christ Jesus our hope,
2To Timothy my true son in the faith: Grace, mercy and peace from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Lord.
Paul is writing this letter to his friend and protégée Timothy. Timothy was much younger than Paul, and Paul really thought that the future of the church was in this young mans hands. Not only was Timothy Paul’s pupil, we was one of his best friends and partners. Timothy had been brought up right by his parents, had been loyal to Paul, and to his faith. Paul knew it was VERY important to teach his young friend the ropes.
We have all heard the phrase "like father -like son." This is because it is true. Yvette Alverson has this phrase on a mirror in her hall. "Mirror, mirror, on the wall-I am my mother after all." We do tend to behave and take on the traits of those learn from. That may be one of the reasons public school teachers only teach one grade. If they taught the same group all the way through their school experience, their influence would be amazing. Timothy was Paul’s son in the faith. As such it is Paul’s responsibility to mold him correctly.
SIDEBAR- Many of you who read this fit into similar positions with me as Paul had with Timothy. Although ya’ll are much younger and do not have the life experience I have, ya’ll are still some of my closest friends and favorite people. Life has a way of imitating itself. Some of these resemblances may be un-canny.
Prayer- Lord, Help us learn from Your word, and from each other. Thank you for all my friends. Go-Fight-Win. Amen

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home