Alumni Bible Study

A Bible study initially set up for alumni of the Senior Sunday School Class at the First United Methodist Church of Lufkin, Texas. It is our hope and our prayer that this study touches the hearts of those who participate and helps spread the love and grace of Our Lord and God. All who want to learn more about God are welcome

My Photo
Name:
Location: lufkin, Texas, United States

I am a Christian family man, Lay Pastor and writer from Deep East Texas. I love life, and I enjoy working with young people. I have published two books; "A Small Mind Among Tall Trees" and "God If You Are Not Too Busy, Can You Give Me a Hand". If you want to obtain a copy drop me an e-mail or go to amazon.com or barnesand noble.com . I have been a salesman, cowman and athlete in my past. I still have a strong sense of humor and am not afraid to use it.

Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Jonah 4:1-5

Relax, Read and Reflect
Prayer- Lord, Open our hearts and open our minds and help us learn. Go-Fight-Win. Amen.
Jonah's Anger at the Lord 's Compassion
1 But Jonah was greatly displeased and became angry. 2 He prayed to the LORD, "O LORD, is this not what I said when I was still at home? That is why I was so quick to flee to Tarshish. I knew that you are a gracious and compassionate God, slow to anger and abounding in love, a God who relents from sending calamity. 3 Now, O LORD, take away my life, for it is better for me to die than to live."
4 But the LORD replied, "Have you any right to be angry?"
5 Jonah went out and sat down at a place east of the city. There he made himself a shelter, sat in its shade and waited to see what would happen to the city.
Jonah is a drama queen! He thought that Nineveh should be destroyed, and when God showed compassion, Jonah showed anger. Notice how quick he was to rationalize. He tells God that this is why he fled to begin with, because he knew what would happen. What an ego! He is so wrapped up in his own prejudices that he would rather die than have the Ninevites live.
When we do God’s work, do we get mad if things don’t turn out like WE want? Sometimes God’s plan differs from our agenda, and when things don’t turn out the way we think they should, we lash out at God. Instead of admitting that things are better God’s way, we withdraw and sulk, we rationalize. We become a problem rather than a solution.
Prayer- Lord, let me always be a solution. Remind me that I am Your child, and work for You. Go-Fight-Win. Amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home