Alumni Bible Study

A Bible study initially set up for alumni of the Senior Sunday School Class at the First United Methodist Church of Lufkin, Texas. It is our hope and our prayer that this study touches the hearts of those who participate and helps spread the love and grace of Our Lord and God. All who want to learn more about God are welcome

My Photo
Name:
Location: lufkin, Texas, United States

I am a Christian family man, Lay Pastor and writer from Deep East Texas. I love life, and I enjoy working with young people. I have published two books; "A Small Mind Among Tall Trees" and "God If You Are Not Too Busy, Can You Give Me a Hand". If you want to obtain a copy drop me an e-mail or go to amazon.com or barnesand noble.com . I have been a salesman, cowman and athlete in my past. I still have a strong sense of humor and am not afraid to use it.

Thursday, March 29, 2007

Romans 1:8-17

Relax, Read and Reflect
Prayer- Lord, Open our hearts and open our minds and help us learn. Go-Fight-Win. Amen.
8First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for all of you, because your faith is being reported all over the world. 9God, whom I serve with my whole heart in preaching the gospel of his Son, is my witness how constantly I remember you 10in my prayers at all times; and I pray that now at last by God's will the way may be opened for me to come to you.
11I long to see you so that I may impart to you some spiritual gift to make you strong— 12that is, that you and I may be mutually encouraged by each other's faith. 13I do not want you to be unaware, brothers, that I planned many times to come to you (but have been prevented from doing so until now) in order that I might have a harvest among you, just as I have had among the other Gentiles.
14I am obligated both to Greeks and non-Greeks, both to the wise and the foolish. 15That is why I am so eager to preach the gospel also to you who are at Rome.
16I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile. 17For in the gospel a righteousness from God is revealed, a righteousness that is by faith from first to last,[
a] just as it is written: "The righteous will live by faith."[b]
Paul wanted to go to Rome. Even though Rome was a pagan city, the Christians at Rome had a good reputation. Paul was very aware of the church there, and had prayed to God that he would have the opportunity to visit. Paul was a missionary to the Gentiles, and was making a difference all over the world. He believed in the power of the Gospel, and had faith.
Here is the irony. Paul wanted deeply to go to Rome, and prayed fervently for the chance. Now he was getting that opportunity, but he was being taken to Rome as a prisoner. First he would have to endure a beating, shipwreck, and being bitten by a poisonous snake. Be very careful what you ask God for; your prayers may be answered in ways you are not prepared for.
Prayer- Lord, send me where you need me, and let me do Your work. Go-Fight-Win. Amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home