Alumni Bible Study

A Bible study initially set up for alumni of the Senior Sunday School Class at the First United Methodist Church of Lufkin, Texas. It is our hope and our prayer that this study touches the hearts of those who participate and helps spread the love and grace of Our Lord and God. All who want to learn more about God are welcome

My Photo
Name:
Location: lufkin, Texas, United States

I am a Christian family man, Lay Pastor and writer from Deep East Texas. I love life, and I enjoy working with young people. I have published two books; "A Small Mind Among Tall Trees" and "God If You Are Not Too Busy, Can You Give Me a Hand". If you want to obtain a copy drop me an e-mail or go to amazon.com or barnesand noble.com . I have been a salesman, cowman and athlete in my past. I still have a strong sense of humor and am not afraid to use it.

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Ruth 3:10-18

Relax, Read and Reflect
Prayer- Lord, Open our hearts and open our minds and help us learn. Go-Fight-Win. Amen.
10 "The LORD bless you, my daughter," he replied. "This kindness is greater than that which you showed earlier: You have not run after the younger men, whether rich or poor. 11 And now, my daughter, don't be afraid. I will do for you all you ask. All my fellow townsmen know that you are a woman of noble character. 12 Although it is true that I am near of kin, there is a kinsman-redeemer nearer than I. 13 Stay here for the night, and in the morning if he wants to redeem, good; let him redeem. But if he is not willing, as surely as the LORD lives I will do it. Lie here until morning."
14 So she lay at his feet until morning, but got up before anyone could be recognized; and he said, "Don't let it be known that a woman came to the threshing floor."
15 He also said, "Bring me the shawl you are wearing and hold it out." When she did so, he poured into it six measures of barley and put it on her. Then he [
a] went back to town.
16 When Ruth came to her mother-in-law, Naomi asked, "How did it go, my daughter?" Then she told her everything Boaz had done for her 17 and added, "He gave me these six measures of barley, saying, 'Don't go back to your mother-in-law empty-handed.' "
18 Then Naomi said, "Wait, my daughter, until you find out what happens. For the man will not rest until the matter is settled today."
Naomi and Ruth thought that Boaz was the person in line to legally accept them. Jewish law stated that if a man died and his widow should marry his next of kin. Boaz was a relative of Naomi’s but not the next in line. Oops!
Boaz is a honorable and hardworking man, and Naomi knows this. She knows that he will fix things if he can. She also knows that Boaz likes Ruth, and will do what it takes to take her as his wife.
So, what can we learn from these verses? Boaz had something we all should strive for- honor. He is a man of impeccable reputation. That is what we should strive for. When we see an opportunity, we should be honorable in our dealings to acquire things. To often, we get a reputation for taking shortcuts or not doing things properly. God had honor, shouldn’t we ?
Prayer- Lord, let us act in honorable ways. Let the world know that our reputation is one of honesty and hard work, because we want to shadow you. Go-Fight-Win. Amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home