Alumni Bible Study

A Bible study initially set up for alumni of the Senior Sunday School Class at the First United Methodist Church of Lufkin, Texas. It is our hope and our prayer that this study touches the hearts of those who participate and helps spread the love and grace of Our Lord and God. All who want to learn more about God are welcome

My Photo
Name:
Location: lufkin, Texas, United States

I am a Christian family man, Lay Pastor and writer from Deep East Texas. I love life, and I enjoy working with young people. I have published two books; "A Small Mind Among Tall Trees" and "God If You Are Not Too Busy, Can You Give Me a Hand". If you want to obtain a copy drop me an e-mail or go to amazon.com or barnesand noble.com . I have been a salesman, cowman and athlete in my past. I still have a strong sense of humor and am not afraid to use it.

Thursday, March 22, 2007

Ruth 4:1-8

Relax, Read and Reflect
Prayer- Lord, Open our hearts and open our minds and help us learn. Go- Fight-Win. Amen.
1 Meanwhile Boaz went up to the town gate and sat there. When the kinsman-redeemer he had mentioned came along, Boaz said, "Come over here, my friend, and sit down." So he went over and sat down.
2 Boaz took ten of the elders of the town and said, "Sit here," and they did so. 3 Then he said to the kinsman-redeemer, "Naomi, who has come back from Moab, is selling the piece of land that belonged to our brother Elimelech. 4 I thought I should bring the matter to your attention and suggest that you buy it in the presence of these seated here and in the presence of the elders of my people. If you will redeem it, do so. But if you [
a] will not, tell me, so I will know. For no one has the right to do it except you, and I am next in line." "I will redeem it," he said.
5 Then Boaz said, "On the day you buy the land from Naomi and from Ruth the Moabitess, you acquire [
b] the dead man's widow, in order to maintain the name of the dead with his property."
6 At this, the kinsman-redeemer said, "Then I cannot redeem it because I might endanger my own estate. You redeem it yourself. I cannot do it."
7 (Now in earlier times in Israel, for the redemption and transfer of property to become final, one party took off his sandal and gave it to the other. This was the method of legalizing transactions in Israel.)
8 So the kinsman-redeemer said to Boaz, "Buy it yourself." And he removed his sandal.
That Boaz, he is clever. He knows how to do deals. Evidently, there was some property that Naomi owned that was now being sold. Her brother in Law could claim it , or redeem it, since he was the nearest relative to her dead husband, The fellow say’s "sure-give me the property." Boaz reminds him that with the right to redeem, comes the need to marry Naomi. Since Naomi is old and has no surviving sons, the man no longer is interested in the deal. He tells Boaz to "Buy it yourself." What do you think Boaz will do?
Wee all get caught up with the "something for nothing" mentality. But there is never anything absolutely free, except for God’s love. There are catches in any business deal here on earth. Taking on an old widow woman did not seem like a good thing, but Boaz sees the big picture. Shouldn’t you? How can we get this vision?
Prayer- Lord, give us the ability to make wise decisions, and the strength to make them. Go- Fight-Win. Amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home