Alumni Bible Study

A Bible study initially set up for alumni of the Senior Sunday School Class at the First United Methodist Church of Lufkin, Texas. It is our hope and our prayer that this study touches the hearts of those who participate and helps spread the love and grace of Our Lord and God. All who want to learn more about God are welcome

My Photo
Name:
Location: lufkin, Texas, United States

I am a Christian family man, Lay Pastor and writer from Deep East Texas. I love life, and I enjoy working with young people. I have published two books; "A Small Mind Among Tall Trees" and "God If You Are Not Too Busy, Can You Give Me a Hand". If you want to obtain a copy drop me an e-mail or go to amazon.com or barnesand noble.com . I have been a salesman, cowman and athlete in my past. I still have a strong sense of humor and am not afraid to use it.

Friday, April 28, 2006

Genesi 16:1-8

3R’s
Prayer-Lord, Open my heart and open my mind and help me learn. G-F-W. Amen.
Hagar and Ishmael
1 Now Sarai, Abram's wife, had borne him no children. But she had an Egyptian maidservant named Hagar; 2 so she said to Abram, "The LORD has kept me from having children. Go, sleep with my maidservant; perhaps I can build a family through her." Abram agreed to what Sarai said. 3 So after Abram had been living in Canaan ten years, Sarai his wife took her Egyptian maidservant Hagar and gave her to her husband to be his wife. 4 He slept with Hagar, and she conceived. When she knew she was pregnant, she began to despise her mistress. 5 Then Sarai said to Abram, "You are responsible for the wrong I am suffering. I put my servant in your arms, and now that she knows she is pregnant, she despises me. May the LORD judge between you and me."

6 "Your servant is in your hands," Abram said. "Do with her whatever you think best." Then Sarai mistreated Hagar; so she fled from her.
7 The angel of the LORD found Hagar near a spring in the desert; it was the spring that is beside the road to Shur. 8 And he said, "Hagar, servant of Sarai, where have you come from, and where are you going?" "I'm running away from my mistress Sarai," she answered.
So..Sarai could not have any children, so she told Abram to try to have kids with her servant Hagar. Abram said "OK." This created lots of problems, especially when she became pregnant. Even though Sarai originally gave her blessing, jealousy raised it’s ugly head with both women. Even though this was an early form of surrogate birth, and tradition was already set so that this would have qualified as Abram and Sarai’s child.
Sarai did not believe God when he told Abram that he would father a nation, so she took matters into her own hands. Soon she became frustrated and hurt with the outcome, and that led to anger. She lashed out at her husband,(it was his fault of course,) and Abram refused to act.
She lashed out at Hagar and was so mean to her that she ran away. An angel had to come get her. Like many of us , sometimes it is easier for us to run from our problems than face them. This is a human condition. Remember, however, that God is in control.
Prayer- Lord, give me the strength to confront my problems before they grow. Give me the wisdom to trust in you and your timing. Go-Fight-Win. Amen.

Things to do- Read Genesis 16:9-16 Who was Ishmael? And why was he so wild?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home