Alumni Bible Study

A Bible study initially set up for alumni of the Senior Sunday School Class at the First United Methodist Church of Lufkin, Texas. It is our hope and our prayer that this study touches the hearts of those who participate and helps spread the love and grace of Our Lord and God. All who want to learn more about God are welcome

My Photo
Name:
Location: lufkin, Texas, United States

I am a Christian family man, Lay Pastor and writer from Deep East Texas. I love life, and I enjoy working with young people. I have published two books; "A Small Mind Among Tall Trees" and "God If You Are Not Too Busy, Can You Give Me a Hand". If you want to obtain a copy drop me an e-mail or go to amazon.com or barnesand noble.com . I have been a salesman, cowman and athlete in my past. I still have a strong sense of humor and am not afraid to use it.

Friday, May 19, 2006

Genesis 22:1-8

Relax, Read and Reflect
Prayer-Lord, Open my heart and open my mind and help me learn. Go-Fight-Win. Amen.
Abraham Tested
1 Some time later God tested Abraham. He said to him, "Abraham!" "Here I am," he replied.
2 Then God said, "Take your son, your only son, Isaac, whom you love, and go to the region of Moriah. Sacrifice him there as a burnt offering on one of the mountains I will tell you about."
3 Early the next morning Abraham got up and saddled his donkey. He took with him two of his servants and his son Isaac. When he had cut enough wood for the burnt offering, he set out for the place God had told him about. 4 On the third day Abraham looked up and saw the place in the distance. 5 He said to his servants, "Stay here with the donkey while I and the boy go over there. We will worship and then we will come back to you."
6 Abraham took the wood for the burnt offering and placed it on his son Isaac, and he himself carried the fire and the knife. As the two of them went on together, 7 Isaac spoke up and said to his father Abraham, "Father?" "Yes, my son?" Abraham replied. "The fire and wood are here," Isaac said, "but where is the lamb for the burnt offering?"
8 Abraham answered, "God himself will provide the lamb for the burnt offering, my son." And the two of them went on together.
Again, we need to pay attention to titles. Abraham is indeed tested. He is told by God to get his son, travel fifty miles or so, and then sacrifice Isaac to Him. This is about as big of test as you can get. Why does God do this? Does he need human sacrifices? Did he just want Abraham to fail?
Abraham had already shown his faith and willingness to obey God. He had also shown that he was human, and could not always put all his faith in God. God tests Abraham here, not to punish him- but to give him an opportunity to really grow. God does not want human sacrifices like the pagans would offer to their gods. God wants us to sacrifice ourselves. We wants us to sacrifice our tendency to retreat into comfortable lives.
Often, when we decide to obey God, we must give up things WE want. Obedience and Godly living is not always the easy life, but it is the best life. We are also tested. We may not be asked to sacrifice our children as burnt offerings, but we are asked to show our commitment to God and to always obey Him. Maybe we need to sacrifice our old lives, our old ways, and move forward in our relationship with God.
Prayer-Dear Lord, I know there will tests in my life. Strengthen me, give me patience and surround me with your love. Go-Fight-Win. Amen.

Things to do- Read Genesis 22:9-14

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home