Alumni Bible Study

A Bible study initially set up for alumni of the Senior Sunday School Class at the First United Methodist Church of Lufkin, Texas. It is our hope and our prayer that this study touches the hearts of those who participate and helps spread the love and grace of Our Lord and God. All who want to learn more about God are welcome

My Photo
Name:
Location: lufkin, Texas, United States

I am a Christian family man, Lay Pastor and writer from Deep East Texas. I love life, and I enjoy working with young people. I have published two books; "A Small Mind Among Tall Trees" and "God If You Are Not Too Busy, Can You Give Me a Hand". If you want to obtain a copy drop me an e-mail or go to amazon.com or barnesand noble.com . I have been a salesman, cowman and athlete in my past. I still have a strong sense of humor and am not afraid to use it.

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Galatians 2:1-5

Relax, Read and Reflect
Prayer-Lord, Open my heart and open my mind and help me learn. Go-Fight-Win. Amen.
Paul Accepted by the Apostles
1Fourteen years later I went up again to Jerusalem, this time with Barnabas. I took Titus along also. 2I went in response to a revelation and set before them the gospel that I preach among the Gentiles. But I did this privately to those who seemed to be leaders, for fear that I was running or had run my race in vain. 3Yet not even Titus, who was with me, was compelled to be circumcised, even though he was a Greek. 4This matter arose because some false brothers had infiltrated our ranks to spy on the freedom we have in Christ Jesus and to make us slaves. 5We did not give in to them for a moment, so that the truth of the gospel might remain with you.
I almost left off the heading for this passage, but as I thought about it, I realized how important it was that Paul was accepted by the Apostles. Paul prepared his ministry for fourteen years. It was only after a revelation, a vision in which Christ commanded him to go to Jerusalem, that he went before the Apostles to tell them what he would be preaching. He met with Peter and other leaders, and even in this meeting, some new Christians wanted his companion, Titus-a Gentile, to be circumcised. This would conform Titus to the other Jews, and Paul-with the Apostles, would have nothing of this. Re-read verse four. This explanation of freedom through Christ and confinement through rules strikes home.
So many times, "new Christians," as Joy calls them, are so filled with energy and passion that they want to change and convert the world-immediately! The zeal and energy they possess is incredible, but are they spreading the true gospel? Do they have the knowledge and experience (very important) to keep the gospel true? Remember, Satan is looking for disciples as well. If he can trick a fired up follower of Christ into doing his work, that is a good day.
Do not be afraid to evangelize! If you feel the Spirit move within you act. If you do not feel the Spirit- figure out why. However, surround yourself with other believers (the church) and never stop studying and learning. Let others help you in your walk, that is why God gave them to you for in the first place.
Prayer- Lord, give me the fire that I may spread Your word. Keep me safe and teach me the truth, so that I can teach others and keep Your gospel pure. Go-Fight-Win. Amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home